It Pays To Be Nice To People

Southpa

I was working on some doors (sanding, filling and priming) at my friend's shop last week. They share the washroom with the shop next door. I took some time off and wandered into the other shop where they do custom plastic, poly and plexi cutting , assembling etc. I got to talking with the owner who just happens to play guitar in a local blues band. I told him I was building guitars etc. and asked if he had any scraps laying around that I could use for pickguards. He gave me a piece of 4' X 10" "CYRO" Acrulite AB plastic, one side is abrasion resistant, about 3mm thick. :D

Last weekend I hauled a load of drywall with my truck for a friend to his home. He works down at the Dept. of National Defense dockyard in the tool crib and keeps offering to take me on tours of the submarines (yes, the ones we bought from Britain), B) . But he also said he can pretty much get me tools and materials that normally would be discarded. If you understand how federal agencies work you will know what I mean. They will use a jigsaw blade once then toss it. If someone doesn't like a brand of tools or if a piece is missing from a set it will be discarded or is free to a good home, ie. taken home by an employee. So my friend popped by and gave me an assortment of hardly used jigsaw blades for cutting steel, and a full set of Forstner bits, minus the 1/2" size, which I already had, thankfully. The bits came from China and I guess they went to another, better brand. He also gave a a 3' long length of 2X4, yes, Eastern maple! and its quartersawn! So I got all the basic materials I need for my next guitar.

Just goes to show you, keep your ears and eyes open and be NICE to people! :D

Edited by Southpa

and keeps offering to take me on tours of the submarines (yes, the ones we bought from Britain),  :D .

Don't forget your duct tape :D

Kaj :D

B)

and water wings, you'll be needing them as well :D