DV's guitar

I will be making a body next week end, my question is that they have 8/4 mahogany and 4/4 already planned. I plan on making am all mahogany body and a laminate. My question is for the laminate one, should I glue both woods, walnut and mahogany 4/4 together and then run it thru the jointer and joint them at the middle, or jooint the 4/4 mahogany first and then joint the walnut and plane them, then glue the mahogany to the walnut? They also have 4" wide 1" thick maple I cold do a 3 piece top over mahogany, will this be better?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion on sequence would be:

- joint and edge glue the mahogany

- joint and edge glue the walnut (or the maple if that is what you decide)

- clean up the joints on all the pieces and make sure the glued up pieces are flat

- glue the walnut or maple to the mahogany

Thanks for the answers guys. I went completely into a different route. After I went to a place the guy at the wood shop told me called TideWater Hardwoods, I stumble across a lot of other woods that they didn't had at the shop, I grabed a plank of Ash 8/4 7"x8' and already cut in 2 and jointed. Tomorrow I will be planning it and cutting it to make 2 body blanks. I paid $39 for the plank so 2 ash bodies for $39 ain't too bad :D , the guy has a lot of people from the installation buying wood there so he gave me 25% off, I will be replacing the body on the strat from a plywood Squier to a Ash body, and will be making another body soon. Thanks again!

xebry,

I'm about 40 min from you, I'm in Ft Meade which is between Balt and DC. I do to DC a lot to Walter Reed. I decided to go with the ash because of the price and this is the 1st body from a plank or body blank that I do and I rather mess up 1 ash and get the other right than to mess up a walnut-mahogany body (price wise). From here it will start to get complicated.

johnsilver,

I realy don't know which type it is, I know that the 8' plank was kinda heavy, I asked and the guy wasn't sure.

Hey wow, 2 more guys from Maryland, cool. There's a bit of a MD mafia here...

Xebryus you should try out The Woodworkers Club in Rockville, its a bit behind White Flint Mall. They've got the usual flame maple, walnut, mahogany etc but they also have a decent selection of exotics; at the moment: padauk, cocobolo, wenge, zebrawood, lacewood, purpleheart, bolivian rosewood. They get different stuff in every so often. The people there are pretty cool.

It is also a tool store, and in the back they have a very complete woodshop; you can become a member for something like $50/month (maybe there's an initiation fee...?) and once you pass the training on the machines, you can come & go and do some serious work there. I'm not a member but I've had them do odd bookmatch cutting & jointing jobs for me at demand rates ($60/hour $15 minimum) since I don't have access to a joiner.

Oh haha WOW...i didnt know so many people in MD made their own guitars...yeah i was in woodworkers club when i was looking for wood (they are the ONLY people with later hours), but they didnt have really what i needed. I might do that whole club though. This colonial hardwood DOES joint and plan the wood for free, but its a distant. I gotta go back to woodworkers club to see if they have anything this time around. By any chance have you gone to "exotic hardwoods"? i always wanted to go but dont have the time.

yeah, Drak, Scott, Maiden...I may be missing one or two. And that's not counting anybody from VA.

I've been meaning to get over to Exotic, but so far all I've needed I've been able to find at TWC, and my progress is so slow that their wood usually turns over significantly between my visits.

What do they have over there at Exotic? I'd especially like to find a local source for ebony (I know, good luck....).

I've never even heard of TWC, I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads-up.

Exotic Hardwoods..hmmmmm...they have a really big selection of really nice woods, almost everything you could think of.

Seriously -big- selection.

Also, 90% of the lumber there is rough hewn, so it's really tough to try and pick out a nice piece with good figure, you really gotta peer hard into that lumber to see the figure within thru the rough exterior.

And 95% of the time you have to buy the whole 8' long board, so I wind up not buying much there very often. It's sort of dissapointing to walk in there, I see a lot of wood I love, but the price and quantity of buying the whole board sort of puts it off limits, so I'll walk out emptyhanded, even after seeing a lot of woods I like...

I did buy a 13" wide by 12' long slab of Honduran Mahogony that I got 6 or 7 bodies out of, I think it was $140.00, so if you do the math, it's a great deal, but it's rare I need that much wood, but it was high quality beautiful wood.

Neil Gager is the owner, nice guy.

PS eric, yes, Exotic does have Ebony, 2 different types, and African Blackwood that is almost as dark as Ebony, but as soon as you see the price ($50.00/bf) you'll be running like hell. :DB)

But you should go there just to see the selection, because he really has a wide and great selection of woods, that I'll give him.

haha i see what you're saying drak...i didnt know you were in md, but yeah i can totally see what you're saying. You made me anxious but hesitant to go to exotic lumber because im broke :D and i would just want stuff i cant get. I love your guitars drak and im assuming you get your wood from ebay and other online sources because if you got your wood from local sources you gotta tell me where you get it

if you got your wood from local sources you gotta tell me where you get it

Hehehe....hot button.

I'll try to save you from the Wrath of Drak...the short answer is that you've already got 3 really good local places in this thread, and eBay is another source (but buyer beware). Even if you don't buy, go in and visit these and other places you find by doing your homework; chat the guys up, tell 'em what you're into, show 'em your work when you can, you'll find that they're enthusiastic and willing to share lots off cool info with you, stuff that will really help you with your building. Build relationships.