Veneer Job

Hey Guitar addicts. Need some help from the best.

Before you do a veneer job do you have to treat the wood with any type of wood sealer?

How do you go about venering the sides and back of a guitar?

I am working with a flat body les paul which is almost finished being completely stripped of its original paint. Once its comepletely stripped i will sand the body and then begin with veneer job. I want to veneer the whole body to make it look really nice.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks People. :D

Edited by GuitarMan686

There's a tutorial on doing a veneer top in the tutorials section of this site. I personally wouldn't use the sanding sealer, I would just glue it to raw wood. The top and back shouldn't be too hard, but the sides will be a little bit tricky to do... :D

Before you do a veneer job do you have to treat the wood with any type of wood sealer?

_________

No. You can if you want, but it's not necessary. Just be sure to make it dead freakin' flat tho.

_________

How do you go about venering the sides and back of a guitar?

_________

You don't veneer the sides. Not if the sides are in any way rounded. Sand the edges smooth and shoot dark paint on the sides. You can, and I have, veneered the sides of a V, but not a rounded body.

_________

I am working with a flat body les paul which is almost finished being completely stripped of its original paint. Once its comepletely stripped i will sand the body and then begin with veneer job. I want to veneer the whole body to make it look really nice.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks People.

My advice to you is to get ready for a lot of practice runs before you attempt to apply veneer to the guitar. When you approach the guitar with the veneer, you should be approaching it with some confidence that you've done it before and are ready for any instant FUBARS that might (and probably will) happen. Save the FUBARS for the scrap practice runs.

I'm going to try doing a veneer top sometime. The staining/dying part of it is what scares me...

Me too, i have a late 80's Kramer that im going to veneer and stain. Im so nervous about messing up or sanding through the veneer :D Any tips Drak?

This might just help out Guitarman686 B)

Edited by AlGeeEater

Yeah. I definitly dont want to mess up the project it means alot to me.

If i cant veneer the sides then what should i do?

Just staining the sides wont work because the body is layered and wont look to good. Someone suggested sunbursting the sides but i dont know how

the hell you go about doing that. All the info is helping. Thanks!!!!!

Sanding thru veneer is harder than you think.

You'd really have to be sanding hard and furious to actually go thru it.

Seems surprising, but there you have it.

I remember doing about 5 stain black and sand backs to one Myrtle Burl veneer once. I just couldn't get the color I was looking for, and you know me, I'm not settling for anything I don't love, so I just kept going, figuring I'd be going thru that veneer any second, but I didn't.

Just use a flat-backed sanding pad so you keep it even and flat and you'll usually be OK with a stain-n-sand job. :D

GMan686, I can't help you too much, sounds like your first time and to be honest, I screwed up about the first 25 times before I started getting good results, so just give it your best shot and don't expect the moon on your first go-round, that's why I recommended you do some scrap practicing first. B)