Drill question

I drilled the machine head holes (10 millimeter) with a drillpress in two necks and the holes were just perfect.

Right now when I use a 10mm drill, the holes come out as 10.25 mm and I have no idea why.

Could it be the drill I use is blunt? (ehmm.... not sure if blunt is the right word.. could be "dull" too)... :D

Anyone?

Coen

Yup sounds like a walker, either that or during the previous drilling the bit heated up and deformed on the tip.

If it's walking chances are your drilling into some really tough wood and the only thing you can do to get around it is pin down the object your drilling in to.

I would first inspect the drill bit though just to be sure something didn't happen to the tip and also make sure it is seated properly in the chuck.

Thanks guys!!! I bought a new drill bit and will try drilling a smaller hole first.

John, 10.25mm is absolutely not acceptable to me. The machinehead shafts are 9.8mm, so I'm already bothered by that 0.2 mm.

I want to build my guitars within very close tolerances. If I didn't care, I could've bought a Fender.... :D

Coen

ah i see, you would probably be better off getting a 3/8" drill bet as they are slightly less than 10mm. in fact thats prob what the tuners are.

hope you get it sorted anyway.

i`ve seen worse than fender build quality! :D ...... mine.

yeah, i built a bass, but i hav`nt finished it yet. I have been waiting nearly 2 months for my pickups to arrive. :D

i used gotoh compact tuners which needed 9/16" diameter holes.i could`nt get a drill bit that size so i used one i had that was slightly smaller, then enlarged the hole using a round file. it worked out very nice indeed the bushing were a nice tight fit. B)