Questions about paints and stripping.

I have about 6 project guitars that need paint. Some are primed and ready to be painted, others are need a little sanding then primer, most still need to be stripped. I mostly sand everything, but I hate it. I can't do it myself because I don't have any kind of sander other than paper and it's way too much work. I gave them to my brother to sand, but he doesn't care about them and sands down edges and other stuff. He also got a new job where he doesn't have access to the sanders he used to use. What better, heat or chemical stripper? I'm leaning more towards stripper.

I have all these guitars I want to redo. I was looking for info on BINS primer before I bought some, and I found a site that talked about ReRanch. He said they were good for one guitar, but cost too much when you have multiple guitars. I think I saw clear Nitro laquer at Home Depot. What about the paint? Would any nitro spray cans work? Would I be better off going to Scherwin Williams? I have a spray gun; it's not the greatest, but neither are the guitars. Should I buy in gallons/quarts or spray cans? I want to get a couple finished soon. Monday, school starts again.

If you can afford it get a palm sander they really will do most of the work for you and it will be around later on for other projects as they come your way.

BINS is great stuff as is any of the white primers, personally I've used both that as well as the spray cans of White sandable primer from Krylon and the only Rustoleum paint I would ever reccomend which is the automotive spray can (grey sandable primer).

One thing that bug's me about the white primers (yes Brian it may only be you) is they tend to feel tacky long after the directions say they should be dry. This might just be the humidity around me being in Florida, I really don't know.

When it comes to stripping the easy way is using a heat gun but it is also dangerous and yes you will still need to do some sanding before priming but not that much. Unless the body has been stripped of it's factory finish and refinished in the past I personally try to stay away from the chemical strippers simply because of the time and mess involved.

it's not nitro or poly. Can I still use it?

Bro you can paint a guitar in water colors as long as you want to :D

I think what probably has you stumped is if the primer is compatable with the top coats (color) you want to use. Chances are if they are both Krylon then they are compatable.

People have painted guitars using waterbourne paints as well as petroleum based paints, the big key to it all is making sure you take your time, the paints do not conflict with each other and ton's of preperation on the body.

The smoother it is to begin with the easier it will be to finish out, don't leave that spec of a bump on the edge thinking you will build up the paint over it and eventually hide it. And yes sandable primer is ment to be sanded smooth B)