Need Help With Veneer

Lizard_King

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm refinishing a guitar of mine and wanted to go with a figured veneer top on it. I've been looking around and pricing different tops, but today I was at a friends house and he has an old buffet with a very beautifully figured veneer on it. He told me I could have the buffet if I could use it. I was wondering what is the easiest way to remove the veneer from the buffet? And how can I get it back to it's original wood color so that I can dye it as I wish. B) any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appericiated. Thank you in advance Lizard_King :D

Just thought it would be a good idea being as this is one of the best looking pieces of veneer that I have ever seen(seriously it is). That on top of the issue of not having a decent budget to buy veneer I figured it would be alright. It appears that I was wrong. Does anyone know any sites that have moderatly priced veneers? lol Thanks for the quick reply

Thank you Drak, sorry it took my this long to reply. I've been rather busy,(visiting local pawn shops :D ). Bought a few guitars fairly cheap, but will need some attention.

Visited Brian's site and will probably buy some veneer off of there very soon. In the near future I will also be donating to the site.

I was wondering what anyone in here thinks of opening their own shop. Because I'm seriously considering it. The closest shop around here is at least 45 minute drive. I think it would go over rather well. I open for any suggestions, tips,pointers. Anything basically lol.

Very nice site guys, very helpful and informative. Nice quick responces from people who actually know what they are talking about. I'm impressed,and I really enjoy the site. I've read just about every single topic. B)

Keep up the good work. Thank you,

Lizard_King :D

there are a lot of things to consider when you're thinking about opening a shop. many of them are financial....ok, probably most of them are financial. i was fortunate enough to buy an existing shop and inventory. we're primarily a small guitar shop..sell 'em, make 'em, repair 'em and teach people how to play them. we're small by design and i decided at the onset to cater to the entry level to intermediate player. other than my customs i don't normally have a guitar in here that retails for over $500.00 and most of them are less than that.

so you need to do a bit of a demographic study..is there really a need there? are there a lot of players in your area? pros? front porchers? beginners? who are your customers going to be?

then decide what services you're going to provide. repair and set up? lessons?

now the big questions? can you offord the initial inventory after leasing a place? can you find some inexpensive display cases, peg board and hangers? a sign out front? a phone and alarm? insurance? a cash register? utilities? a computer?

i'm really not trying to scare you because it's a good business to be in. but it's retail and to a certain degree seasonal and cyclic. in a small shop you have to be able to do it all yourself to begin with in order to get it up and running. you might consider a partner if you know someone that you can work with that would actually be a benefit..

on the positive side, i've been open for a little over 4 years now and love it. i live in a very small town, actually a village, in the texas hill country. i've got two teachers that teach bass, guitar and drums and they actually pay the bills each month. there's a big music community here and since i'm the only game in town without having to drive over 30 minutes i do pretty well.

if you decide to open up let me know and i'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have and to hook you up with my suppliers.

Thanks unclej I'll be posting again very soon. Would everyone to see my guitar hopefully I will have a cam or scanner by the time I get it finished lol.

Financially I think I can swing it, I have a few family memebers that are willing to put up a little to help me along the way. This has been my dream for a long time now. I've always wanted to own my own shop. I'll let you know as soon as I get thew tax number back, should be any day now.

I'll take all of the suggestion into consideration and I'm going to sit down and figure out just what type of crowd I want to appeal to. I think that more expensive guitars and customs would have to be special order instead of keeping them in stock, but at the sametime maybe it would be a good idea to keep a few in the show room?!? Still not sure what amps to go with, or who to get ahold of to find out about them. I'm heading out for now. Will post more a little later this evening. Thank you everyone.

Lizard_King :D