Most Inexpensive Guitar Kit?

The Saga kits, Brian Stocks them in universal Jems

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/kitun.htm

but the common oppinion is that they are not too good, though it isnt horrible for a first kit. mainly, people say that the electronics leaves something to be desired so i'd recomend to upgrade the electronics, but i havent bought it so maybe people that have bought it could help you more.

Edited by truerussian558

yep, saga tele or strat... come on, they are not THAT bad... they are a kit, and a kit is never going to give you the ultimate in handmade guitars. but they are fun, a great way to start, and highly recommended from me for beginners.

i haven't had any experience with the strat kit, but in my opinion on the tele kit, you'll want to upgrade at the very least the tuners, and probably the bridge pickup... the tuners it comes with are simply unusable, and the bridge pickup is too too bright.

I haven't bought one of their kits before but Carvin Necks are fantastic Quality and keep in mind that IF you bought the saga kit you would have to finish it as well.

Finishing isn't that hard if you go by directions from the forum. A Wipe on Poly for the body and Tru-Oil for the neck and put it together.

I believe I have a winner in this category. International Luthiers has a $109.00 complete Tele kit that is complete.......well, that's what it is supposed to be, right? Complete. A girl that I teach in Sunday school bought a HT version(hi-dollar, $160.00!) and I got to say, the neck sets up VERY well. These kits sound like crap plugged in but they are complete. Complete. Another word that sounds dumb when you say it over and over. Complete. It's like compete with a speech impediment. Not very PC.

Carvin can finish the body and neck in whatever finish you would like. I think it costs an extra $40-$60 dollars and adds about a week or two to the delivery schedule.

$40-60 doesn't buy ANY finish. I think it'll get you their textured black "plastikote" or tung oil on natural, but not a color & clear - that's more like $160, IIRC.