Beginners

Alright I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, and it may have already been posted or at least something of the same nature. But I can't help but voice my opinion on this matter, and that's just what it is "my opinion", although others may feel the sameway about the matter.

Here recently a friend of a friend decided that she wanted to buy a guitar and start learning how to play. She absolutely loves acoustic guitars thus she wants to learn how to play on one. I advised my friend when he told about this that I would be more then willing to help her find a decent, yet affordable guitar for her to purchase and learn on. My full intention was to help her out as much as possible with making a good decision and keep her away from the "plywood" and "cheapo" guitars that won't stay in tune, action way to high, so on and so forth. (You know what I mean?) I don't like to see anybody get taken by some sales rep that's just there to make the sale and send you on your way. Or even worse....

I talked to her and she said she just couldn't afford anything to expensive at the moment, but would save some money and get back with me in the near future. So I'm thinking that she's going to call me in a week or so and tell me that she wants the guitar. Boy oh boy was I wrong!!!! Turns out she went to WAL-MART and bought a f-act acoustic.......It was only like $69.00 she told me.

Now here's my question, for a beginner which do you think would be better, a $69.00 cheapo that's not going to last more then a month or so and the actions going to be so high that it's not even funny, or shell out anywhere from $100-$250 for a decent acoustic that might last longer and is going to give alot better sound? For a beginner wouldn't you think a guitar with moderate action, good tone, sustain,and playability would make them want to continue to play? Instead of spending $69. on a guitar that hurts their fingers so bad that they never want to play again?

Now all this said I have talked to her and she has thrown the cheapo away, yes that's right she just threw it away lol. And now she is playing my acoustic until hers comes in this week.

Just some rambling that doesn't ammount to much but that's my $.02 anyway.

What do you all think about it? Which is better for a beginner? And why is it that hardly any of the major companies are worried about quality, but instead are worried about quanity? :D

Definitely go for more. cheapo guitars hurt your feelings because they make you sound bad. I know of some companies for good cheap electrics but no acoustics. Sorry. I just have one suggestion, when i was up late a couple of nights i kept seeing the Esteban guitar kit. hahaha i loooked it up on harmony-central and i had a laugh attack. the things people said about this guitar is priceless

heres the link: Esteban...haha

Well long story short. A few more bucks will give you better results than this. Well I hope your chances with this chick become a little better by helping her (dont worry, we all know you want her) :D

LMAO Right on lol I know what you mean. I'm just helping her out ya know? :D

I was just kinda curious what everyone else thought about it. I mean some people you just can't explain things to, and others catch on rather easily, then you have the people that have to find out first hand and spending double the money because they end up buying the junk guitar then couple days or so later they buy the more expensive guitar. I'm just trying to help.

I've been playing for over 13 years now, but even when I first started playing I wouldn't even think about buying a cheapo, probably because I've been around music. instruments, and bands my whole life. :D

Esteban LMAO :D:D I think that sums up the "Esteban" guitar lol but don't forget "it shines like a diamond" B)

Because quality doesn't put gas in the Ferrari, pay for the house in Bermuda, or cover the rent on the mistresses apartment.

:D

I do agree with you though. A $69 guitar will go exactly that far. I would advise her that she's going to get what she pays for. It's going to sound like poo, play like poo, and she might even end up disliking guitar.

Your advice for her to save for a few days/weeks/months and invest in something a little more quality-based is sound (no pun intended). For 3x the money, she can have 10x the guitar, all the while sounding decent, and enjoying her play time.

WalMart has a pretty good return policy, don't they?

B)

If you can, go with her to the local guitar store and Austin-Powers-Judo-Chop all the sales guys that come within 10' of her. Give her a hand picking something decent out.

Hint: Don't start in the Taylor/Martin section. LOL Check out the pre-owned gear first.

I personally would go used since you will get more for your money that way. (This is all subjective since I have built some really crappy acoustics and know what to look for. Now I build really sweet sounding acoustics and I know you can't get a properly voiced instrument for little or no money.) In my opinion there aren't any decent new acoustics for under $800 anymore. Even some of the $2000+ guitars are not voiced properly. You really do get what you pay for and a well skilled luthier that can make a guitar sing is not that cheap.

Go through the classifieds in your local paper, on Craigslist, or online classifieds. You will get a better instrument than any of the cheap junk the manufacturers are trying to pass along as decent acoustics these days. You may even find some good stuff that may need slight repairs or adjustments. I have seen really nice guitars go for pennies on the dollar this way.

Edited by Myka Guitars

I understand what you're saying there. A guy in the next town over from me has a little shop that he's had for say maybe 45 years now?!? Well he handles mainly acoustics he has alot of older, good quality acoustics that he can't sell. He said that most of the younger crowd that comes in there want something flashy and new. While the older acoustics are far better then the "New York Pro's" that he sells, he just can't seem to sell them. I talked to him awhile back and he's willing to sell me most of the older guitars and a pretty decent price. I figured it would just be a good investment. But these older acoustic are 5 times the guitars compared to the cheapies. :D