My First Project

im doing my first project soon, and ive got an idea for my body but id like to get a more "realistic" basis for it. i drew it out on a large sheet of drawing paper to use as a template, but id rather have a better idea. can someone give me some help on how to get it to the right proportions and stuff. is there any base that i should use for it?

its a single cutaway and ill a pic of the template, considering its not a body shape that id know the name for.

Picture16.jpg

Picture17.jpg

im sure that this would look better in autocad or whatever, but i dont have it and i dont know how to use it. actually, if anyone would like to be a big help to me and knows how to use it and if it wouldnt be too much of a problem, id love to see a CAD pic of it or something

and yea, i know that the right wing protrudes a little too much, but i was going to play with that more after the wood is cut anyways

Edited by 1nf1d3l

i realize i didnt put any of my intended specs on here. whoopsie

its not final but heres what i know i want on here and have bought

maple body

undecided wood for neck with rosewood or ebony fretboard

single humbucker at bridge, prolly gonna end up being something not too expensive, like a ibanez v8(i like these for some odd reason) or maybe a dimarizio dual sound pickup or dp207

what are some good bridges? i know floyds, but i want a non-trem one and dont really know all that much about the choices

and im gonna wire a killswitch into it. no vol. or tone, just a killswitch.

27 or 25 1/2 scale, still undecided there

6 strings.

1nf. Just gotta ask. Are you a lefty? Body looks that way. If you want a non-tem 6-string bridge, you are like the only guy at the prom with 155 women at your disposal. There are billons and billions (Carl Sagen quote) of cool choices out there where the stars are! What music do you play? The scale is kinda determined by that but not absolutely. I like to cut out a full-size body shape from plywood (complete with neck) and play air-guitar with it for a while to see it from the players view and make obvious changes to it. Plywood is cheaper then body blanks and is more "tactile" then CAD drawings. Know we'll hear more 'bout this.

Emergency EDIT!!! I forgot to tell you about the splinters when you play air guitar with your mockup! Gloves or iodine and tweezers!

Edited by thedoctor

im a righty, and i dont like trems.. i dont need em. i play metal and rock and hardcore. i never thought about doing a plywood mockup.. thats a brilliant idea. the shape came from lookin at les pauls. i just thought itd be cool to make the upper "wing" even with the cutout on the other side. im actually thinkin about going for a carvin m22 for the pickup now, since 81s are expensive as hell, and v8s are only "kinda" good. thanks for the ideas!

I'm not sure if I missed something or what but you got 4 planks of 1/4 inch wood for the body of the guitar? IF you glue it together it's only going to be like an inch thick.....Are you planning on putting a top on it? What kind of wood did you buy? I'm not sure what you're going for so please let us know. :D

You said you're a righty? To make the cutaway more functional you'll have to add more of a "scoop" to it on the under side. Also, a good rule of thumb for single-cutaway guitars is that you don't want your cutaway "horn" to extend any further than the side that isn't cutaway. Look at a Les Paul or even your pictured Ibanez. You'd either have to shorten the horn quite a bit, or extend the side that isn't cutaway, or a combination thereof. If you leave it like that, that horn will get in your way and you'll feel the urge to saw it off.

I'm just chiming in here, as I haven't read all the other posts on this but, If you have 1/4 inch Maple you can glue it together for the top and buy some alder or basswood 1 1/2 inches thick and use it as the base part of the body.

Trace around the bottom of your black guitar in the pic and merge the lines from your cutout to form the upper section and that should even things out a bit. When I do the same as you're doing, I draw a little and erase alot. If you have any friends that play LP's ask if you can trace it out and mod the tracing til you get what you want.