Hollow Not Hardcore?

I m looking for my first electric and my local music shop guy showed me this nice used semihollow artstar ibanez. Its the best guitar i can get right now and i like it alot its a good deal but i was wondering if i could still get that "hendrix" like tone or will it be ok to play some pink floyd? Also will effects work just as good as on a solid body?

Ahhh, its been so many years, then reality intervened. :D Effects will work on anything that is amplified, real fun thru a mic! As far as you sounding like Hendrix or Gilmour with this guitar I don't see it happening without the proper effects and talent. Not to mention that both used strats w/ single coils. B). Your guitar will sound MUCH mellower. But I like semi-hollow bodys, real comfy to play.

http://store1.yimg.com/I/chrisbsmusicinc_1784_2825177

sure body type has a bit to do with sound, but think about construction (set neck or neck thru) material, pickups, scale, and what amp its thru and the processing before it.

thats alot of factors. just get it and play the thing. worry about that stuff later.

the guitarist from Nothingface plays a black gibson hollowbody tuned to B thru Randall amps and it sounds BRUTAL. so dont let that be the judge of the sound just yet.

t

I m looking for my first electric and my local music shop guy showed me this nice used semihollow artstar ibanez. Its the best guitar i can get right now and i like it alot its a good deal but i was wondering if i could still get that "hendrix" like tone or will it be ok to play some pink floyd? Also will effects work just as good as on a solid body?

I don't understand...those Artcore guitars cost about the same as a Mexican Strat ...and that's going to get you a whole hell of a lot closer to your Hendrix/Floyd sound.

I'd say the music shop guy is misleading you and just trying to unload the guitar. Or maybe he really likes it and wants you to like it too (they are darned perty!)

I have a Samick Royale --it's basically the same guitar (heck, it IS the same guitar) but less expensive. The stock pickups are great for jazz....I changed mine for P90s and now it rocks.

Still, if you want that Strat sound, get yourself a strat! Go to another store and have a look around...You should be able to find a decent used strat for the same as that Artcore...

Another issue to consider with the semi-hollow bodies--they're much wider guitars, more difficult to handle, especially sitting down. You're going to be more comfortable with a slimmer, lighter, smaller guitar.

Yeah, but those MIM Standards are like 8 piece bodies (literally, 5 to seven slices of alder with a front and back veneer), yuck! Believe it or not, the squier Infinity line are pretty good quality guitars with a nice ALDER body (unlike the Squier Standards which are agathis, I really think you need alder or ash to get Fender tone, maybe poplar) although they are a little on the thin side (not tone wise). Lot's of folks swear by them, and you are probably going to upgrade a MIM Standard strat anyway, so why not upgrade a $150 guitar? (hint, keep all the original parts, as you'll want to put them back if you ever go to sell your guitar, then you can sell the upgraded pickups, tuners, etc, separately and get more of your money back). However, I really love the necks on the MIM Standard line and the finishes are excellent. I just wish they would use standard 2 or 3 piece bodies and alnico pickups.

By the way, I've owned two MIM Standards, a 98 and a 2001, in about 2001 they switched from poplar bodies to Alder bodies, also the Mexican factory seems to be constantly improving quality. There was a big difference in fit, finish, and tone between both guitars, with the 2001 model being a superior instrument. I replaced the pickups in both guitars (Texas Specials in the 98 - not my cup of tea by the way, and Tex Mex in the 2001 - better vintage strat tone to my ears, more bell like highs, yadda, yadda), however, and in my 2001 model upgraded to the callaham strat bridge.

I've also owned an older squier affinity, and other than the pickups, it was a great guitar.

Edited by javacody

For the music you want do play DON'T(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) buy that guitar it will frustrate you. A hollowbody will never sound like a strat let alone most electric guitars. And that's just one side of the coin. Playing a real electric is way easier if you want to play technically more involved stuff like Hendrix + Gilmour(both are not really good in terms of technique, but from reading your post I suspect you are just starting).

They are selling for average $700 US brand new. And I've seen previously enjoyed Artstars for about half that. You can do better. Get a little internet search going and see prices for yourself. There are a TON of different Ibanez Artstars, some are higher end guitars made earlier in Japan while the newer, less expensive ones are coming out of Korea and China. But find out what model number this guitar is and look up some reviews here. Should give you a better idea of what to expect performance and pricewise.

Edited by Southpa

Yeah, but those MIM Standards are like 8 piece bodies (literally, 5 to seven slices of alder with a front and back veneer), yuck!

Are you saying thats a bad thing?? For the Jem I am building I have multiple laminates of Basswood

Curtis

Are you saying thats a bad thing?? For the Jem I am building I have multiple laminates of Basswood

I would have thought common sense would dictate you would want as fewer

peices laminated together as possible. I dont want to be quoted out of context, but all i mean is like, you would much rather a 1 peice body than an 8 peice with 8 laminations/glue joins ect ect

?

it is not a bad thing.it is a different thing.musicians are supposed to be the most tolerant people in the world,yet most are not tolerant of laminates

and another thing that strikes me as funny.the same guys that preach one piece bodies don't seem to mind 5 piece laminate necks...which are widely regarded as a good thing.

but after saying all that,a 2 piece alder body(go ahead,try to find an alder blank wide enough for a one piece bolt on or set neck) will have more of the strat "snap" i think,since laminates seem to slightly mellow the tone to my ears

and i personally PREFER 2 piece alder bodies to 3 or more pieces...but i also prefer 3 piece necks

So your saying that the hollowbady isnt good?

No, the Ibanez is probably a great guitar...the question, is it right for you...and it really does seem like you'll be happier with a solidbody, at least for your first electric...This Ibanez is a jazz guitar, that's what it's made for, and no amount of FX will change that.

Do you know how to play guitar already?