Laminate Tops

Moreau

I was curious if it was possible to laminate 1" lumber and then bookmatch it to use as a top? How would one approach bookmatching it best? I am assuming every strip, i will have to cut on the table saw, and joint it, then glue it. But will a 1" block of laminates be able to be bookmatched? Thanks :D

a. what kind of material are you using where you have to laminate AND bookmatch to get a sizable piece of wood for a guitar top?

b. could possibly work if it were quartersawn, any twist in the grain or figure is probably going to look like the deck of your house.

Sure, I buy wood around that thickness and have it split down the middle and bookmatch it all the time.

Should not be much of a problem.

The issue is that normal table saw blades won't cut all the way thru a 7" piece of wood, so there will be a section in the middle you'll have to hand saw or put on a bandsaw to finish up.

Not as good as having a good resaw machine, but it does work.

Obviously you use the 2 center sections to bookmatch together.

ok, nevermind, it wont look bad. i thought you were using one type of wood. you could pull it off with a lam.

do you have a bandsaw?

most woodshops will just have a big bandsaw. push it thru, thickness sand it, then join and glue it.

just look in the phone book for cabinetry, or lumber resources (exotic wood, not 2x4's).

thanks. i was gonna try it myself, but with the fact that there are 18 Laminates making up each half of the top, means i gotta wait a damn long time to get this together, So im gonna go professional. 36 total laminates in the top :D . I want to use paduk, but am wondering how to go about getting 1/8" thick material, as well as 1/16" ebony. shpuld i buy a one inch piece and cut thin strips off? of should I use thicker pieces, laminate, then thin on a jointer? or would it tear off the thin strip? thanks B)