tubes

westhemann

i have a question specifically for the amp guys here.i don't know jack about how amps work or anything about tubes.here's my question,i have an old fender twin reverb and the tubes are old(they are the original tubes and the amp is a 60's model i believe.)and need to be replaced.it has 4 6l6 tubes in the power amp section and 4 7025 tubes in the preamp.what tubes do you reccomend as replacements?i want a singing lead tone and a clear and articulate bottom end.i will not be using the in amp gain as i have a zoom pedal which i prefer.also the reverb is not working on it but the pan seems fine.any hints on what i should look for wrong.also when i replace the tubes should i have the amp biased?

Wes,

You're talking about in amp gain, so you have a seventies Silverface amp, not a sixties Twin.

I'd recommend either Svetlana or JJ tubes and YES... have your amp re-biased.

Reverb could be anything, a missing or broken tube or a broken cable.

However, I suspect it to be a missing tube. You mention only four pre-amp tubes. A Twin Reverb has six.......

yeah tsl you are right.there are 7 preamp tubes but all of them are not the same.some are 7025 some 12at7.as far as the type i was told it was a twin reverb but all the face has been torn off,the speakers removed,and a few knobs are missing.the in amp gain is a push pull knob,plus it has another push pull knob that i don't know what is.does that tell you anything?

i wish to renovate this amp and anything you could tell me would help.

thanks again alex.tsl i cannot find any mention anywhere of a fender with 7 preamp tubes.hope you know more about it than me.i want to put the amp itself in a new box(head form).i've had it for a few years and used to play through it through a 4 by 12 cab.has an awesome bottom end but i need to get new tubes in it and get the reverb working.i bought the marshall when the reverb went out but it doesn't have the sheer presence that the fender does.

it's definately a fender.says fender u.s.a on the back panel.and most of the tubes are fender.i think it probably is a faulty tube like you said on the reverb.i just need to find out what it is so i can get the right tubes in the right spot.maybe it's not as old as i think it is.could it be some kind of obscure 80s model?i got it in about 1993 and before that it belonged to a friend of mine since about 89.it has looked just like that since i first saw it.i bought it for about $100 if i remember right and just considered it a p.o.s. even though it had a pretty good sound.it always had those old tubes though so i think it would probably sound pretty nice with new ones. the in amp gain is very harsh and it has lots of it but the clean tone is nice and is a good base for my gain pedal.

so tell me,what should i do to restore the sound to this amp besides tubes?the controls are sticky and scratch when you turn them and they don't have a smooth transition in sound when you turn them(for example when you turn the treble nothing happens until you reach about 4 and then it all happens at once)will pot cleaner fix this?any tips are appreciated :D

Wes,

First, I'd put some speakers in..:-p

Seriously, if you've never worked with tube amps before: The innards of a tube amp contain parts that can kill you. I'm not kidding. If you don't know how to drain the caps in a tube amp, go to an amp repair guy or learn to do that yourself.

Check out RG Keen's www.geofex.com and search for the tube amp debuging page.

I suggest you clean your pots first. It's alot of work, but fairly easy to be done. Try to find/borrow some other tubes and replace the ones in your amp. That's the only way to find out if you have any bad tubes.

You know that you should NEVER run a tube amp without speakers, right?

Coen

i would have it hooked up to my 4 by 12 cab.why does it matter?something to do with the ground?i want to turn it into a head.i don't like combo amps.i do know that the board can store power after it's unplugged.i don't actually want to change anything i just want to get everything working properly.

1.replace tubes

2.get the pots working properly

3.turn it into head form to make it smaller and to look better

that's all i really want to do.