Radial Arm Saw As Overhead Pin Router?

erikbojerik

I just got myself a reconditioned radial arm saw (replaced dead motor), the version they sell at Sears. On the side of the motor opposite the blade, there is a threaded shaft labelled "router attachment" that looks like it will accept router bits (if I can find an appropriate collet). You can rotate the motor so that this thing is pointing down at the table.

Had anyone here ever used this feature? The wheels are spinning, I'm thinking of trying it out as an overhead pin router for use with various templates (e.g. f-holes...).

My radial arm saw has the same arrangment.

I've only attached a sanding drum to that shaft. (Turn the head sideways, set your depth, and use it like a a finishing planer.) I have considered using it in a similar fashion with a router bit, but I have a router table now.

I'm not sure that I follow how you would use it to cut the f-holes, though.

D~s

Try and visuallize how you would hold the work piece as you lower the bit. Unless it can be done easily with one hand or a foot. If you can't do this easily, you'll need a friend to help you for internal routs.

Something like this strikes me as a good system for sheet stock like routing decorative edges by using a fence or routing dados with a straight bit.

You might be able to profile rout a body, but a table router would be more solid. You could install an overhead pin system on that (or just buy the Lee Valley unit).

With an overhead pin router, you basically have the router bit hanging down and a small metal pin jutting up from the table (maybe 1/4") directly underneath the bit. You put a template on the back of your piece and the pin follows the edge of the template underneath, while the bit cuts the piece from above.

For f-holes, you make yourself an f-hole template out of plywood or plexiglass that you can mount the piece to firmly, then rout away.

Dugz, did yours come with the collet? Or did you have to find one?

With an overhead pin router, you basically have the router bit hanging down and a small metal pin jutting up from the table (maybe 1/4") directly underneath the bit.  You put a template on the back of your piece and the pin follows the edge of the template underneath, while the bit cuts the piece from above.

For f-holes, you make yourself an f-hole template out of plywood or plexiglass that you can mount the piece to firmly, then rout away.

The problem for internal routs is lowering the bit into the work. Any radial armsaw I've seen uses a hand crank. That means you need to have the bit spinning, hold the work with one hand, then reach for the crank. That's an accident waiting to happen.

Real pin routers have a foot feed that lets you hold on to the work piece with both hands. They're pretty safe all things considered.

Edited by ddgman2001

• 1 month later...

The slow speed of a radial and the lowering problem make this a bad idea. You have a dangeous possibility of the bit grabbing and spinning or slinging your wood at you. There is a reason tht a lot of woodworkers are nicknamed "Stumpy" and "Nine-finger Jack".