High Gloss Fretboard

Guiterry

Merry Christmas everyone! Does anyone have any information on how to produce a super high gloss finish on an ebony fret board? These are usually found on high end basses and it's usually fretless. Pedulla has a model that has this type of fret board and I'd like to try it on my next bass project.

Thanks everyone.

Those pedulla glossy black fingerboards have some sort of synthetic finish on them, I dont even think there is any ebony in there. My neighbor has one that I did a repair on for a while, it was a nice flame maple 4 string fretless. Call pedulla or send them an email, do not tell them you are trying to copy their fboards just let them know your are "interested" in their product and are very curious about their fretboard materials/methods.

Hi man, welcome aboard.

Another idea might be to try using Rustins Plastic coat. It is a clear VERY hard finish. You can brush it on- I imagine if you did several coats, sanding in between obviously, you could get a comprable fingerboard finish.

A guy here called Setch has used this product to finish his guitar, with stunning results. Brian May also used this to finish his Red Special.

Hope thats some more food for thought.

Luke

a less intrusive way to get ebony to shine (without spraying clear or epoxy, etc on int) is to get the board nice and clean, then hit it with minwax paste wax. apply per instructions, and buff the bejeezus out of it with a 6" orbital hand buffer (available for about $20 at home depot). ebony buffs up really nicely, and you won't have to put clear or anything else on it.

it'll still feel like a nice and smooth wood fretboard, but it'll shine like it's been clear coated. that's what i use on the backs of unfinished necks, and it gives the wood a nice protection, but retains the feel of an unfinished neck.

sully

Edited by jsullysix