So When Do You Upgrade To A New Bandsaw

bigdguitars

I have a nice band saw a delta platinum edition 14 inch band saw with the height block installed so that I can resaw.

The band saw is used a lot in my shop, almost as much as my drill press.

So do i upgrade to a Rikon 18 inch, I can get a good deal on the delta 18 inch also.

I would like to get a larger blade to resaw some of this wood, get more for my money.

anyone use 18 inch bandsaws?

-Derek

not sure about everyone, but I know I want to get a bigger bandsaw. Ever since I got my small 9" GMC I have been wanting to get something with a little more power and ability (need to find me a large saw that will still cut metal though since I been making accent pieces out of thin aluminum and want to resaw my own stuff).

I will (next year, or so) be getting an 18" or 19" bandsaw (gotta pay off my new amp first). I need to start cutting up some of this maple I have sitting around.

BigD I was looking at your web site and was reading your comments on all the people in the NW and their poorly dried wood. It just reminded me not to hurry with the bandsaw. I'll just let the wood dry somemore. :D

Derek ......With a riser installed on your Delta, you have the same resaw capacity as the Rikon 18in......@12ins..... It does give you more power though.....Toss a 2hp motor on your Delta(I'm thinkin' out loud here), it should be able to handle it, There should be enough room to mount it in the housing.

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/bandsaws_new_wood.htm

the problem that I was having is that the machine was setup ok, and the 104 dollar carbid blade I bought is not all that great. it eats a ton of wood.

So last night in 20 degree weather I tuned the band saw. Tightened everything down. tightened the belt so that its not as loose as it was. made sure everything was perfect. Then took that maple burl to it that I bought. resawed fine, not a whole lot of deflection.

but I am looking for more power and a bigger table. The shop where I work has a huge laguna machine that does a really nice job, but thats like 4500, and only one guy can use it.

I like that hitachie resaw machine, doesn't someone hear have that one?

not to change the subject to much... but if you are tuning your bandsaw in 20 degree weather it sounds like you should should invest in some insulation and/or heat for you shop. I have recently done so and love the comforts I now have out there. Rigid foam insulation is a good way to go, pretty cheap and easy to install. Being comfortable when you are tyring to do precision work is very important IMO.

I'm itching for a bigger saw too. I used to own a 26" with a huge table and have not enjoyed my Delta/riser block since. We do 80-100 basses per year and I still can't justify the expense of a larger saw - we need a larger compressor etc more. We could double our production and still be using the 14".

Just my opinion here, but if you're making solid body guitars and you don't have a pin router, I'd recommend saving for that before upgrading your saw.