Les Paul Top

RGGR

What top wood would go well with Limba body?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I have completed my Limba Les Paul body, I'm in bit of limbo, what top wood to use on the body blank.

I was first thinking of doing an all Limba Les Paul (neck/body/top). But reading about some of the tonal capacities of some of the other woods out there....I was thinking getting more brightness out of the Limba body by combining it with some other kinda top/neck woods.

The limba stock I bought has some life in it......nothing to worry about, when doing solid color LP.....but Limba neck would be a challenge as I don't want a neck with worm holes in it. (I don't like painted necks, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue)

I like the feel of maple necks and this will off set the warmth/lows of Limba body bit.

But now about the top. What about some Koa as top wood. I know it's a b*tch getting hold off........and Hawaii is running out of Koa trees......I read that a good surrogate may be Australian Black wood. (Also not easy getting hold off, and shipping from down-under might be $$$$$)

They say Koa and Limba might be great combo...even better as Maple and Mahogany.

Then I hear people rave about Cocobolo. But hearing Drak's posts about this wood is not for novice builders......;-( I'm kinda nerveous just thinking about this option.

Also saw that Cocobolo comes in relatively small logs.

A nice piece of Cocobolo would also be bit of useless choice if I cover guitar with solid black paint anyway??? Same as covering nice Curly Maple piece.......

I've bought some SD JB (br) and '59 (n) to go with this.

Guitar will be set-through design so neck wood will have more of an effect than regular tenon or bold on version.

Go for original idea of all Korina LP.

Do all Korina LP with Maple neck?

Do Korina body with Maple/Koa/Cocobolo top and Maple neck?

Darn choices.....

Easiest to get hold off for me are Limba and Maple. Cheap and in abundance.

Other will be harder getting hold off. And read:$$$$$

Thanks

Edited by RGGR

It's white Korina......but leaving it unfinished is not an option as there were some quite some worm holes in the wood blank.

Got the wood blank already planned, filled and primed.

The Gibson customshop made some nice Korina/white Oak LPs.....and if the Korina would have been free of worm holes I might would have taken that route.

korinaoak68combo.jpg

Thanks for the advice......I was thinking using maple body through neck.......that will off set the limba a bit..........haven't decide on top yet.

Limba, Maple, Bubinga, Walnut....and Koa, Cocobola, Australian Black wood being more exotic options.

Interested how that padouk top will turn out.

Why? It's my in-progress LP, isn't it??? And I'm asking a question about how to complete it. So why is it in the wrong forum????

Maiden69 again....always causing trouble......;-)

yeap that's me.

SSOOOOOOORRRRYYYYYYY.

I usualy just ask questions, not place it on a poll. And the green color o nthis forum kinda look out of palce.

:D

And to answer your ? I will have to say any thing that you will like. I hate always seeing limba on it's natural color, is just plain and ugly. A nice top, any top will accentuate it better and will be a nice change to the regular brown mahogany backs.

Why not some nice figured walnut? It's relatively easy to carve and quite forgiving, and has a bit of that maple "snap" to it, but also has some warmth.

I hadn't considered Walnut before......but after reading Darren's comments I have done little reseach into Walnut...

Dear ol' Ed Roman says about Walnut:

Walnut is another one of my favorite tone woods, Bass Guitarists have long known about Walnut's tonal qualities,  Just to be clear, I probably think Korina is one of the best tone woods for the back of a guitar and isn't necessarily overwhelming as a top.  Walnut makes a great tone wood for the top or front of the guitar. It's dense like Maple but it's usually more stable and Walnut grows slower so the grain will be tighter and the sound richer than Maple.

Or Wingsguitars.com:

American Walnut, also known as Black Walnut, is a beautiful, dense tonewood. It has a little "warmer" sound to my ears, then Claro Walnut. It usually has more even grain patterns, and is usually not "figured" so much as Claro. For electric guitars, it covers both the high and low ends of the tonal spectrum very well. The first guitar we ever made was from American Walnut, and it was beautiful, sounding warm and crisp. I often wonder who has that guitar now.

Rampartguitars:

Tonal Signature: Similar properties to Pau Ferro. This dense, good velocity of sound,  and hard wood, when used as a top will attenuate the upper-mids, and top octaves. Fantastic Super-Hard Maple alternative.

Some others:

Walnut produces an exceptionally warm tone with deep bass and resonant mids and highs, and has excellent projection.

Ovangkol or Shedua comes from the same family as Bubinga and as such shares the same tonal qualities; it has the depth of rosewood but has the livelier snap associated with medium density woods such as koa and walnut.

So I think a Korina LP copy with Walnut top and Maple set-through neck will be great choice.

Edited by RGGR