Rosewood Vs Ebony

Sound: To my experience, ebony makes a "brighter, snappier" sound.

Rosewood is a bit warmer and mellower.

Playability: This is also to my experience: (ymmv) Ebony, being a harder wood, makes my fingertips sore! I have owned three ebony-boarded guitars through the years and hated playing them for that exact reason. I would TRY to play them for awhile and sold them off. For this reason, I am a dyed-in-the-wool rosewood man.

Rosewood feels comfortable under my fingers

Disclaimer: This is a very subjective topic and very much subject to individual experience and opinion. I just expressed mine. Again, your mileage may vary.

I know lots of folks who prefer ebony boards and good on 'em. Keeps PRS able to upcharge their already overpriced gear!

for me the sound doesent mater so much between ebony and rosewood, but rosewood has a warmer tone and the ebony is a bit like maple, almost the same tone!

i prefer rosewood for a fingerboard, because of that soft feel (the grains are more present) on the rosewood.

ebony is more hatder i wouldnt say faster because all the "fast metal guitars" has rosewood fingerboards (ibanez, jackson, esp) almost all of their guitars has rosewood fingerboards! so for me ebony is NOT faster, it just has a very different feel form rosewood...but taste is very important, try them both for a some time, then you will see the differences and the ones that you like... :D -cheers!!!