Wanna See My Pickup Winder?

Phil Mailloux

Here's my pickup winder, why pay 350$ for a stewmac winder when you can do the same with spare pieces :D

Mantaray080.jpg

The small lacquer roller with a wire bobbin stuffed in it is called a "wire feeder" B)

Here's a picture of the winder at work.

and here's a picture of my homemade MusicMan bass humbucker made with it.

Any comments?

Is that a fishing rod you used?!?!?! :D Makes perfect sense!

I'm currently using an old sewing machine, some plywood, and Jason Lawlor's "Complete Guide to Building Your Own Pickup Winder" to build a winder. I'm also going to build a 4-digit decade counter triggered by a magnetic reed switch and have a magnet attached the thing holding the bobbin on so it can count how many winds I've made.

It's a hand drill. I also have Jason's book but i'm too lazy to go fishing around for parts for the rewinder. This was simpler and does the same job, all with parts lying around the house.

The magnets are alnico5 rods of 9mm (3/8") diameter, I got them through www.Intemag.com, I sent them an e-mail to buy magnets from them and they sent me back the e-mail of their distributor here in the Netherlands, pretty cool.

I'm also going to build a 4-digit decade counter triggered by a magnetic reed switch and have a magnet attached the thing holding the bobbin on so it can count how many winds I've made.

I looked into finding a counter for winding purposes but had a really hard time finding one so I decided to wind to resistance. I knew I wanted a resistance of 10K for the humbucker so I wound each coil to 5K. I just went at it for a while with the first coil. Everytime I turned the handle of the drill 100 times I would make a mark on a piece of paper. With one turn of the drill handle, the nose turned somewhere between 3.8 to 4.2 turns.

I made 1400 turns of the handle (about 6000 turns on the coil)on the first coil when I decided that should be enough. The coil ended up with 6.71K. So I made a calculation to see about how many turns i'd need to end up with 5K on the second coil and wound about 1000 turns of the handle.

Also, towards the end of the last coil I stopped once in a while and sanded a bit of the wire magnet to take off the poly and checked the resistance of the coil with a multimeter by putting one tip of the multimeter on the beginning wire of the coil and the other tip on the piece of wire that was stripped of the insulation. After doing that I sprayed lacquer on the wire to give it a new coat of insulation as recommended in Jason's book and went on with winding. That coil ended with 5K.

I then de-wound the first coil by using this.

Mantaray085.jpg

Again, I looked for spare parts in the house and took a roll of tape that I taped on my drill's sanding attachment with double-sided tape. I taped the bobbin on my lacquer roller to the side of the wire bobbin with double-sided tape too.

I unwound maybe 400-500 turns of the handle in less than 5 minutes. The wire would break once in a while because of the speed I went but it was a matter of only taping the wire on it again and going on.

you can build an easy counter with a calculator. This is from john fishers website. Open up the calculator and find where the equals button would press, the solder two wires to it and connect that to a reed switch neer the bobbin holder, and then put a magnet on the bobbin holder.

Edited by silvertonessuckbutigotone