May Have A Major Problem W/ My Project Guitar

I just realized that my neck is 2 3/16" at the 24th fret. Not 2 1/4". I was planning on using a Wilkinson trem that has a 2 1/8" string spread. Will the slightly narrower board be a problem higher on the neck? Should I find a bridge that has a 2 3/16" spread or just go ahead as planned?

I just realized why my neck is narrower at the 24th fret than 2 1/4". When I calculated the neck width at each fret, I used a string spread of 2 1/32" at the bridge. Why? Because when I measure it with my very accurate Starrett ruler, that's the spread I get from saddle center to saddle center. Not the 2 1/8" that is listed on the Stew-Mac web-site.

Looks like I'm OK.

Thanks.

Dave

Project Guitar Site

Edited by CudBucket

Looking at my trem yet again, I noticed that the saddles were not straight when I measured them and got a spread of 2 1/32". When I straightened them and then re-measured, I got 2 1/16". Still, it's not 2 1/8 as advertised.

Now, my question remains, with my neck 2 3/16" at the 24th fret, which is 1/16" less than I should use for a 2 1/8" spread at the bridge, do I stick with the Wilkie trem or go with the Hipshot trem that has a spread of 2 1/16". The narrower spread (1/16" less than 2 1/8") might be a better match for my neck.

Thanks.

Dave

I guess ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make sure strings don't fall off the edge. :D Another option is to use a roller bridge so you can set up custom string spacing for that particular neck. Personally, I like a lotta room up there for bending and vibrato. My SG measures 2 5/16" across the 24th fret and 2 1/8", center to center, across the bridge.

Edited by Southpa

Draw it all out on a piece of paper. All you need to do is draw a trapezoid with the dimensions of you nut, 24th fret width, and fretboard length. Then, draw a centre line, mark where your bridge would end up, and draw in your different string spacings. Then use a long ruler to see how close the different spacings bring your strings to the fretboard edge. Asking on here is not the solution, since the only way for one of us to answer authoratitively is to do what i've just described.... and it's your guitar!

Well I just drew it out.

A center line with my 1 11/16" nut width at one end. At the 24th fret position (19 1/8" away from the nut), I drew the neck width, 2 3/16". Then, 25.5" from the nut, I drew the 2 1/16" string spread at the bridge.

With me so far? :D

Back at the nut, I drew the high E and low E, each 3mm in from the edge of the nut. I ran that "string" line from the nut to each end point of the 2 1/16" bridge spread because that's where the centers of the the corresponding saddles would be.

It looks like I'll have plenty of room for the Wilkinson trem. However, now that I've seen the Hipshot trem, I'm thinking of still using it.

Dave