My First Real From Scratch Project

Cyclone

Good to hear you guys are alright. I watched for a while last night and it seemed pretty bad but not nearly what the last one was I guess, it was only cat.3 when it hit which is still insane but not like a 5. I guess there is a lot of flooding still. Well keep us updated on the project, I can imagine it would be hard to concentrate on fretting with a hurricane slamming your house, so once you get some calm weather I bet we will see it done quick. Good luck. Jason

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a ninny, lafayette. Humbug! I drove on I12 out of Baton Rouge at the climax of the storm. Try doing 70mph with 10ft of visability. I wouldn't have left it I had known it would be like that.

The color looks great. That's a lot like what I was debating on using on my last project. I ended up going w/ natural flamed maple.

peace,

russ

• 2 weeks later...

Update time:

I have recieved my tuning machines (Sperzel satin finish black) and located them. The finger board has been dressed down and steel wooled back to a satin finish and the frets installed, trimed, leveled, dressed, and polished. I do however have one fret that will need to be pulled and refretted with glue due to it being loose on one end (oh well). My next step is to locate, fit and notch the nut. I then plan to string it up to make sure every thing works as advertised. Last week end I was able to clear the guitar (about 4 good coats). As soon as I can ensure that every thing works ok I plan to wet sand with some 600 and apply about 4-6 more coats of clear, wet sand through to some 2400, buff to a high gloss and polish. After I am finished with that I will make some pickup rings from some maple and I am also thinking of making the volume and tone knobs from maple also.

Peace,

Sounds good man. How do you like the tuners? I have some satin chrome ones and I like them a lot, both the look and the function, it makes a huge difference in time it takes for a string change, if they are the locking ones. And for the rings and knobs, how are you making them? I think that is super cool I just wondered how you are going to do, by hand or machine or what? I think those would look very good though on that brown finish. Good luck and keep us posted, and when you can pics! J

Jason,

I hate to sound like a girl, but I love the tuners and yes they are the locking ones. For the rings I have a metal ring from an Ibanez that I will use as a template and utalize my router to cut it. For the knobs I plan to cut some 1" x 1" lengths and turn them down using my drill press and a hand held high speed grinder. I may post some pics of everything pre-assembled, I havent decided yet.

Sweet! Yeah I am tempted to try a few other brand tuners I have heard good things about but I will have a hard time not buying the sperzels again, and another cool thing about them is you can mix and match colors of each piece, to match nearly any guitar ever, and I feel they make the guitar sound a tad better or least more sustain because they eliminate the wraps on the posts, so the string no longer sits on itself and can ring out more. Good luck installing them, I guess they can be tricky but I had no problems adjusting the size in my ibanez. THe knobs and such sound cool, and it sounds like you have a solid plan, take lots of pics if you do those, that would be cool. Good luck. J

Well I have located the nut glued it down and slotted it for the strings. I couldn't wait so I strung it up and wired an old pickup that I had from when I replaced the ones in my Les Paul and set the intonation. After I tuned it and played those first notes the feeling that I had was unexplainable. Its like I had given birth. I know that sounds kind of girlie but that is the best that I can explain it. Now I have to take it apart and wet sand with the 600 and finish the clear coat process. Hopefully I will be finished with that by the end of the week end and post some pics. If not I will try to post some pics of the pickup rings and knobs when I am finished with them.

Well I have located the nut glued it down and slotted it for the strings.  I couldn't wait so I strung it up and wired an old pickup that I had from when I replaced the ones in my Les Paul and set the intonation.  After I tuned it and played those first notes the feeling that I had was unexplainable.  Its like I had given birth.  I know that sounds kind of girlie but that is the best that I can explain it.  Now I have to take it apart and wet sand with the 600 and finish the clear coat process.  Hopefully I will be finished with that by the end of the week end and post some pics.  If not I will try to post some pics of the pickup rings and knobs when I am finished with them.

i know what you mean :D

• 3 weeks later...

I am having some issues and I need some help. I have finished the clear, wetsand, buffing process and I have temporarly installed a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge to set the action at the nut and bridge. The problem that I am having is that I am getting about 17 seconds of good sustain from my low E, A, D, and G string but the B and high E only sustain about 3-5 seconds. The action is consistant at about .010 under the first fret with the strings depressed between the second and third frets. There is no bow in the neck and the action is smooth and even throughout the rest of the neck. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be. By the way this thing sounds awsome (except for the sustain issues)!!!!! :D