Will This Work...

thrashncrust

ok, ive got money now :D , so im gonna make this little mixer thing, but will this work... im getting one of those aluminum project boxes from r-shack, 4 pots, 4 1/4" inputs and 2 rca jacks (i have a cord that does double rca to 1/8" . im gonna have the 4 inputs installed in the front, have wires going from them to the pot, go from the pot to the rca jacks. will that work to where i can control the line volume of the instruments?

p.s. im very tired so if i dont make any sense, let me know and ill type it out again later

hmm... well, a mixer usually has some resistors in series with the lines in- are you using a schematic for this?

and another thought is- by the time you buy the project box and the pots and parts, you might as well consider this 39$ radio shack mixer:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=32-2056

It also gives you sliders instead of knobs, and slider pots are hard to find and pricey- by the time you figure out how much you save doing it yourself divided by how long it takes you to build it... you may wind up paying youself 2$/hour for your labor... ...plus you know this way it's gonna work...

I don't mind using radio shack gear for simple, cheap stuff. mixers have been around forever, so a Radio Shack mixer will be fine so long as you're not snooty about the brand name. I had one of this model and it was fine.

32-2056.jpg

hmm... well, a mixer usually has some resistors in series with the lines in- are you using a schematic for this?

and another thought is- by the time you buy the project box and the pots and parts, you might as well consider this 39$ radio shack mixer:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=32-2056

It also gives you sliders instead of knobs, and slider pots are hard to find and pricey- by the time you figure out how much you save doing it yourself divided by how long it takes you to build it... you may wind up paying youself 2$/hour for your labor... ...plus you know this way it's gonna work...

I don't mind using radio shack gear for simple, cheap stuff. mixers have been around forever, so a Radio Shack mixer will be fine so long as you're not snooty about the brand name. I had one of this model and it was fine.

32-2056.jpg

nah, no schematic, i just thought it up in my head. i might check out that radioshack mixer, but i wanted something rack mounted, like the second link that lovekraft posted. thanks for both of your help guys!!!

thrashncut id check out ebay first of all if i were you. you can get some really good stuff on there for great prices.

mixer.jpg

this little beauty cost me £25(about 45USD)

just have a quick look there and figure out how much ur willing to pay