Replacing Dot Inlays

keithb

I recently bought an Ibanez Universe UV7BK (the green/black model) for cheap - the finish is really messed up and I don't think Guitar Center realized it was a UV.

I'm going to go with a clear finish, but the green dot inlays will look really strange - any hints on replacing the inlays without doing a re-fret? Any good sources of inlay material?

Thanks!

I just replaced the dots on me "fender" style neck, pic , it's realy easy, just measure the inlay, mine were the 1/4" sized, I went to Stew Mac and ordered a set of their pearl inlays and with a forstener bit I carefuly drilled out the ugly black inlays that were on the neck. Then with either CA glue (super glue) or epoxy, I prefer the CA glue the new inlays in.

You can sand them down carefully and never damage a fret.

I use razor blades and small, non-agressive flat files. I prefer files with single cut grooves, not cross cut. That way you always have a true straight surface to go across the inlay. So long as you're being careful you'll never touch the fretboard. Even if you do, towards the end, you won't really misshape the board because the file or blade won't let you. Whereas sandpaper - even on a dead flat block - will dig into the wood when you get close. Then you have sanding grooves to get rid of. They're especially bad because you are going across the grain. On Maiden's neck its no big deal because its scalloped already, and scallops are very forgiving visually. But you'll need to follow the radiused shape of your board.

If you don't want to drill them out completely, or if you don't have a drill press, you can try what I do sometimes. I drill a 1/8" hole through the center of the inlay, then I put the drill bit in there backwards and wiggle the inlay out with a circular motion. The flimsy plastic dots have enough play in them to pop right out. You would never try that with shell. Plus the glue job on those plastic dots is usually weak anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, since I'm snowed in this weekend, I figure it's a great time to get some work done on the project guitar. The inlay holes in the Ibanez neck are too deep for the Stewmac inlays I bought. What would you guys recommend to build up the hole bottoms? Epoxy? CA + sawdust?