Tune-o-matic Question!

I'm new here. I searched around the site but couldnt find the answer to my question. Maybe it's just too easy and i'm not getting it. The question is:

On a standard threaded-post style (i.e. not the kind with the bushing insert) tune-o-matic bridge, how does one thread the posts into the body of the guitar?? I don't have any of the posts in front of me, so I can't closely examine, but in pictures it doesnt look like they have a slotted head or anything for screw-driving them in.

Side question: Anybody have any reccomendations on going threaded-post style or bushing style with a tune-o-matic?? I'm going to be working on a Firebird project that has no bridge, or existing holes. My thought was to go with the threaded post style because 1) they're more classic (kinda lame, I know), and 2) they're a little less evasive if I wanted to cover anything up later. Thoughts?

Thanks.

bushings are my preference. they're solid, and good ones lock in place. you can pull them back out if need be too. i put a chamfer around the top of the hole opening to keep the finish from peeling or cracking. they just feel more secure to me. but that's only my opinion.

-Doug

You can go to the hardware store and buy a cap nut and a regular nut. Thread on the regular nut and leave about 1/8" of thread and then thread on the cap nut. The cap nut will lock up against the reg nut and start to turn the threaded rod into the predrilled hole you made into the body. Use a nut driver to do this. When you get the desired amount of threaded rod into the hole then stop and take a small wrench and while holding the cap nut with the nut driver, loosen the reg nut. This will let you now back off the cap nut. If you just thread on the cap nut without the reg nut under it, the cap nut will sometimes bind on the threaded rod and the rod will back itself out when you try to unscrew the cap nut. This is a convoluted method, but it results in being left with a nice looking threaded insert rather than buggerd up threads trying to turn the insert with a pair of pliers or something.

Make sure that you drill a very perfect size hole for the insert. Just large enough for the treads to cut into and not small enough to make it hard to turn. Do a dry run on some scrap before you do the real deal.