Making A Xlr To 1/4" Cable

Daniel Sorbera

ok I want to record with the mic but I need a cable to go from the mic's XLR to a standard 1/4". I (being way out of money :D ) want to make one. Can I just solder together the 2 hot XLR pins and put them to the 1/4" hot pin? Is it that simple or do I need to do something more? (obviasly the sleeve (ground) and the ground pin would be solderd together)

Connect XLR pin 2 to the 1/4" tip and XLR pin 3 to the 1/4" sleeve - you can try hooking XLR pin 1 to the sleeve as well, but if it causes hum problems, leave it floating (disconnected). Without a transformer or a preamp, you're probably going to have impedance mismatching problems, and it'll probably sound 'orrible, but it's worth a try, I suppose. Radio Shack has a transformer (274-016) for about 15 bucks that'll fix the problem.

<edit>Nice link, Dug!! I'll bookmark that one, for sure!

Edited by lovekraft

thanks for the help guys. I'll be running it through a preamp so I dont think i'll be having any problems. I'll try it later today and tell yall how it came out.

(EDIT) Ok I did it and it sounds great! I am running it through a boss AD-5 and it's cool that now I can record or just put all my cool delay and reverb effects on my vocals. O and leaving pin 1 floating made it very noisey. I soldered it to ground and now it's as quite as umm as ummmm (insert comething quite :D )

Edited by Godin SD