Amp Problems

Ava-Adore

I have a fender hot rod deville 60W and the sound cuts out when ever I turn the amp to level 2 or 3. I cuts out on distortion and clean channels. I have replaced the cord, and the problem isn't from the guitar. any help?

Edited by Ava-Adore

I'm guessing that it's the "Master" volume pot?

Sounds like a bad pot.

You may be able to have someone clean it or have it replaced.

I've found that when pots are left at the same setting for long periods of time, that spot on the pot can get scratchy or cut out when it's move through that area.

I have an old Fender twin reverb and I pretty much leave the settings the same but every now and then I'll move all the pots back and forth a few times to keep from getting dust & corrossion build-up on that part of the contacts inside each pot.

I do that with just about every piece of equipment that I own.

From stereos, amps & multitrack recorders to the sliders on my synth.

What you should do is just replace the pot. Ive seen lots of amps with this kinda problem. What pot is doing it? It might be more than one. You say it cuts out on both distortion and clean? How is your amps pots wired? But like vankirk and silvertonessuckbutigotone said it is probably best to replace it.

Edited by StudentGuitarBuilder

This is not my amp so to speak, but one of my teachers. So I really don't know any more than that. Sorry, should hav stated that earlier, but thank you to all who replied, it really helps.

Before you get crazy replacing parts in an amp that doesn't even belong to you, I would stop by Radio Shack to pickup some TV tuner cleaner (Cat # 64-4315), and spray out those pots first. Unlike Deoxit® and the newer, more aggressive contact cleaners, it's safe even on conductive plastic pots, and it works on all but the worst dirty pots. It used to be part of every working guitar player's toolkit, but it seems to have been largely forgotten recently (along with technique and subtlety, but that's another rant B) ).

We took an old (80s) funky, scratchy Furman parametric EQ and got it studio quiet again with a few applications of tuner cleaner on the pots and some replacement caps. It's a lot cheaper and safer than trying to replace those pots, especially if you don't have any experience with pcboard rework. Just my $.02USD :D

• 3 weeks later...
Unlike Deoxit® and the newer, more aggressive contact cleaners, it's safe even on conductive plastic pots, and it works on all but the worst dirty pots.

Great that you pointed out the exact name of the product. :D

Awhile ago I bought a used tweed Fender Blues Deville and noticed the pots were a little scratchy so I asked the shop I was gonna buy it from if they'd clean them up first.

After I got it home about 20 minutes later, the pots spun freely and didn't work. :D

I took it back and they found out they used the wrong contact cleaner. :D

They made it right by installing all new pots and they've been working great every since.

B)