Neck Laminates

Im thinking of making a neck with laminates of

1" mahogany / 3/8"walut / 3/4" flame maple / 3/8" walnut / 1" mahogany

Will this be ok? does it even matter how wide the laminates are? It is for bass necks, and i hope to get 2 blanks out of a 36" x 2" x 4" blank. so i figure they will be about 7/8" thick. will this be good enough for a 5 or 6 string bass neck? I noticed many blanks are 7/8" to 1". can i just make a heel block? Thanks

:D

I don't know why you need a very big heel block but it is fine to just laminate them on. I am actually responding to let you think about using your trussrod routing rquirements let you use more of your wood. Instead of routing after the neck is laminated, offset your laminate pieces to form a pocket for your truss rod(s). Save wood and eliminates the bastard routing of maple.

i dont htink i get wat u r saying, like why is it so hard to rout? i think it would be neater if you routed it. u would have to cut a channel into the laminate, and since the rods only 1/4" wide and the laminate is 3/4", i think ud still have to route it. and 7/8" should be ok with a hotrod rite? i realized my necks arent even an inch thick at the heel, so maybe i wont need a block. thanks. :D

Im thinking of making a neck with laminates of

1" mahogany / 3/8"walut / 3/4" flame maple / 3/8" walnut / 1" mahogany

Will this be ok? does it even matter how wide the laminates are? It is for bass necks, and i hope to get 2 blanks out of a 36" x 2" x 4" blank. so i figure they will be about 7/8" thick. will this be good enough for a 5 or 6 string bass neck? I noticed many blanks are 7/8" to 1". can i just make a heel block? Thanks

This is exactly what I did for my neck on my 5 string bass. I'm now using the other half for a 6 string bass. You can put whatever size laminates if you want, even thin veneer it doesn't matter as long as you've got enough width. The thickness of 7/8"might be a bit thin but you'll be fine either like this or with a heel block.

Instead of routing after the neck is laminated, offset your laminate pieces to form a pocket for your truss rod(s). Save wood and eliminates the bastard routing of maple.

:D This is nuts. Maple is easy to rout and if you do that (can't figure out why)you'll have a big bulge of wood sticking out in the back of the neck where your second neck blank will be.

Thanks for the explanation of the bastard term. I never heard that before.

First off, you have to find rods that are exactly 3/8" wide. If they don't fit perfect, they'll be crap.

Second, don't forget he wants two neck blanks out of his piece of wood. Offsetting his plys would make it a LOT harder to make a neck out of his second blank.

Third, if you offset your wood to fit in the rods that means you're stuck with a square pocket where the truss rod comes out. Which means you're obliged to cover the truss pocket or be doomed to have an ugly square truss rod pocket with a truss rod nut in it.

This just doesn't sound like a smart idea to me doctor, have you ever done this yourself??

• 2 years later...

Regarding the overall width of the lams. Look close at the nut area when you lay them out. You want to be sure your group of center lams leaves enough space on either side at the nut to have enough of the side material to look good. Your running 1.5" worth of lam. The width of your nut will tell you if you think you will have enough Mahogany to look good. On 6 strings I like to limit my group of center lams to about 3/4"(which allows for about 1/4" on each side for outer material. This seems to look nice and even to me.).

Peace,Rich