Machine Head Types

machine%20heads001.jpg

Hi, could someone answer the following questions:

What type of machine heads are these?

Where can I get similar machine heads?

Will I be able to fit other varieties of machine heads straight to my guitar or will I need to drill extra holes etc?

How will I know that machine heads I buy online will fit my guitar?

How do I remove gmachine heads from the guitar?

Will I be able to fit other varieties of machine heads straight to my guitar or will I need to drill extra holes etc?

How will I know that machine heads I buy online will fit my guitar?

How do I remove gmachine heads from the guitar?

Let's start with the last question...

Remove the strings first.

Then remove the nut on the face of the headstock, and then unscrew the screws on the back of the headstock.

Now take measurements of both the tuner post, as well as the hole in the headstock.

Find the different tuners you are looking for, and see what the measurements are.

If you are trying to decide between two different brands (and want to keep things easy), pick the one that has matching measurements.

At the very least, you will probably have to drill new holes on the back of the headstock, as the screw back there isn't very likely to be in the same position. There are some tuners that don't have a screw on the back (Sperzel, for instance), but they still have a small locator pin that you need to drill a hole for.

If the holes in the headstock doesn't match anything, you may have to ream or fill (depending on if holes are too small or way too big) to get a good fit.

That should answer most of your questions....

:D

Thanks a lot, yes i did use a webcam and its really bad. unfortunately its the only digital camera i own. yes they are those economy ones. what would be a good type to replace them with (I want the replacement to be as easy and painless as possible but i also want a decent set of machine heads)

It might help to know what kind of guitar it is....

I have two telecaster clones (Johnson and Stagg), both accepted new sets of Grover locking tuners with no modifications...whew!

On the other hand, Grover Rotomatics can not be directly replaced with their Mini Locking tuners--the screw hole footprint is different :D

Your best bet is to remove one of the tuners and measure the diameter of the (empty) hole. Then go to HERE --you'll find diagrams with measurements for the different tuners.

You should be able to figure out which will fit your guitar.

If you need to make modifications to your guitar for the tuners you want, take it to a shop and have them do it.

It says "Jim Dunson" on the headstock if thats any help.

Its a really bad guitar that i bought at a car boot sale so i could mess around with it. The machine heads are broken and the rest of it is cracked and rusted.

Thanks for the advice, ill start measuring the holes tommorrow :D