Telecaster Sitar Saddles

Mickguard

Hi man,

I actually own a sitar, and from the looks of the tele saddles, they work on the same principle as a sitars bridge (or jawri [spelling] )

Basically, the saddle is long and flat (instead of sharp like a guitars[ by sharp, I mean that the string starts vibrating from the point of the saddle to the nut). However, on a sitar, the string rests along the saddle. The string vibrates against the saddle, giving that sitar buzz.

Does that make any sense?

Luke

never seen anything like that.. im a little skeptical too.  but err if i were you i would go ahead and throw my money away on it and tell us how it works :D

you can get the exact same effect on a high dollar takemine acoustic by cutting the saddle down way, way too low while trying to get the best action of any acoustic guitar ever...not a bad sound...just not very country. :D

I tried a baby sitar by jerry jones. it sounds unplugged like a real sitar, but when plugged in it doesn't, so my suggestion is to have a piezo system in your guitar to get as close as possible to the natural sitar sound. I did see the sitar bridges on ebay once, the same ones used on the jerry jones but they're like 100 bucks a piece and i'm sure you can get the same effect just sticking a piece of plastic in at the right time. Out of curiosity, would a regular sitar bridge work?

sitar bridge

-Jamie

Hi

Actually, that photo is of the bridge for the sympathetic strings of the sitar. the strings you actually play have a larger bridge.

There is no reason why it wouldnt work, but the bone bridge material is relitively soft. There is also the issue of no adjustable height.

Might be interesting though.

Luke