Questions about low extra tunings...

StarChild

Hey everyone! I'm new here! YAY! Anyway... I have a little dilemma pertaining to my axe... I have an Ibanez RG7620BK seven string guitar and I tune (from low to high) Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. My problem is that whenever I play an open Ab power chord or:

Ab------

Eb---0--

Ab---0--

...it sounds horrible! You can hear the open Eb string like crazy but hardly the low Ab note. It just sounds like noise. But when I play the first fret power chord (the A chord), it sounds A LOT better. Both the A note and the E note sound clearer. And the higher up I go on the neck, it sounds good. Just the open Ab chord sounds like crap. The intonation seems fine and I don't have a problem with string buzz or action though I'm no expert. Also, when I hit the same open Ab chord but WITH the octave Ab note, it also sounds a bit better. Not totally better but a bit better.

This sounds better:

Ab---0---

Eb---0---

Ab---0---

But this sounds like crap:

Ab-------

Eb---0---

Ab---0---

I thought about using thicker strings (right now I have a set of .010s, my seventh string being a .056) though I'm not sure if I should make ALL the strings thicker all just the last low three strings. I also though the problem might be that I USUALLY tune to (from low to high) Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb and when I use the Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb, I tune the seventh string down to Ab using the fine tuners at the bridge. Can anyone help me or point me in the right directions? Thanks so much!

:D

StarChild

sounds similar to the effect you get when you play chords on a bass guitar too, or a Fender VI. Maybe the notes are simply too low for that chord in that tuning.

Guest AlexVDL
Naw, it's not rattle. The string itself sounds perfect. Just when it hit the chord, it sounds weird and crappy...

StarChild

Sounds like you have too thin strings. For that tuning I would recommand 011's or 012's or a custom set between. The custom set has 011's on the bottom and the 012's bass strings on the top. That should clean up your sound a lot more. And he strings will flap alot less...

Naw, it's not rattle. The string itself sounds perfect. Just when it hit the chord, it sounds weird and crappy...

StarChild

Sounds like you have too thin strings. For that tuning I would recommand 011's or 012's or a custom set between. The custom set has 011's on the bottom and the 012's bass strings on the top. That should clean up your sound a lot more. And he strings will flap alot less...

that's what i said!!! B)