Dobro Crystal Finish

ToneMonkey

Alright guys, this is a long shot but here goes anyway.

On the steel National resonators made way back around the 30's and 40's they had a finish on them that's kind of like crystals growing under the laquer. In fact as far as I can tell, it's exactly that.

Does anyone know how they did this? I've been having a look at Sodium Thiosulphate but I don't think that's it.

Cheers guys

Kaj

EDIT - I've just noticed that I put Dobro in the title - what a muppet :D

Edited by ToneMonkey

This came up on the MIMF a little while ago. I don't know if it's in the library yet, but it should be fairly soon. IIRC it involved the addition of something to the lacquer, something either derived from mothballs, or a chemical used in mothballs.

It's the look which resembles frost on a window right?

This came up on the MIMF a little while ago.  I don't know if it's in the library yet, but it should be fairly soon.  IIRC it involved the addition of something to the lacquer, something either derived from mothballs, or a chemical used in mothballs.

It's the look which resembles frost on a window right?

That's the one. I'll go off and have a look.

Cheers Setch, another pint I owe you :D

Who's counting :D

I should really get upto the Reso' centre and have a look at your buddies stuff - I was very impressed by what I saw on his website. I had a nose around the MIMF this mornig, but I couldn't find the post I remembered. I tried a search in the library with no success, so I guess it's still waiting to be archived.