Changing Neck Profile On Ibanez Gsa60

hey guys, i was wondering, is it ok if i sand the back of my guitar's neck to make it a little slimmer? right now it's not that fat but i wanted it to be a little slimmer and flatter.

And if i do that what do i put on the neck in terms of finish...i mean what is originally on there.

Thanks.

BTW here's a pic of the guitar, ive installed a Floyd Rose on it, put in a Dimarzio Evolution and scalloped frets 17-22

guitar4ef.jpg

hey guys, i was wondering, is it ok if i sand the back of my guitar's neck to make it a little slimmer? right now it's not that fat but i wanted it to be a little slimmer and flatter.

And if i do that what do i put on the neck in terms of finish...i mean what is originally on there.

Thanks.

You can. As Wes says, you run the risk of weakening it, but that depends on how much you sand, how far up, and how thick it is to start with. I did it on a Carvin neck with great results, but I suspect it had a lot more wood to start with, plus they use graphite rods for extra stability.

If you do, you can tung oil it for a natural feel, or use a spray on or wipe on polyurethane. I generally use a wipe on satin poly for ease of application & cleanup, and it turns out OK.

Edited by Jester700