Questions About Wood That Was Given To Me

I was given 8 boards, averaging 6ft in length some longer some slightly shorter, and it's all at least 6 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches thick. They guy that gave them to me, said it was African Mahogany......The thing is it looks nothing like the Mahogany I already had. It's a dark brown, has some red tint in it, even some goldish brown in it. I looked on a couple of sites, and it kinda resemble a rosewood, maybe even cocobola(spelling?!?).I just trying to find out what kind it is, and if it's suitable for making a fretboard out of. Just kinda trying to save on cost a little bit. Not cutting corners or anything just trying to find out if I can actually use this stuff or if I should just shell out some bucks and buy some more wood. I don't have a way of posting any picts, which probably doesn't help much. But if I can come up with a digital camera I'll get some up. Thanks in advance.

Lizard_King :D

I may not be the guy to answer this, but here's what I think.

If it's dense and tight grained, go for it. Build a neck and see what you think. Sounds like you have enough of it to play with, so why not?

If I'd listened to everyone who ever gave me advice I'd be a high school band director and about ready to put a gun in my mouth.

Just do what you think is right.

This might help a little http://www.westwindhardwood.com/price.html . I say "might" help because pictures can be deceiving as well as differences in growth patterns, density etc. even in the same wood species. I have Honduran mahogany here and if looked at in extreme closeup you can see tiny crosshatchings (very even lines parallel to each other) across the grain. The effect really comes out when smoothed and wetted down. And on some pieces the effect can be so pronounced that grain can have a sort of interlocked checker pattern. I don't know if this is an identifying feature of all mahogany but I haven't seen it in other woods. Good descriptions of various species here as well.

Edited by Southpa

It's a tight grained wood, actually really pretty when it's finished, it's alot heavier then the mahogany I have as well. I used two pieces of the dark wood and one piece of cherry to build a three piece neck with that I'm still working on. So far so good. it's all 1/4 sawn except for two pieces that I have. But all of it has some nice figuring in it. Thanks Mark :D

Edited by Lizard_King

I was given 8 boards, averaging 6ft in length some longer some slightly shorter, and it's all at least 6 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches thick. They guy that gave them to me, said it was African Mahogany......The thing is it looks nothing like the Mahogany I already had. It's a dark brown, has some red tint in it, even some goldish brown in it. I looked on a couple of sites, and it kinda resemble a rosewood, maybe even cocobola(spelling?!?).I just trying to find out what kind it is, and if it's suitable for making a fretboard out of. Just kinda trying to save on cost a little bit. Not cutting corners or anything just trying to find out if I can actually use this stuff or if I should just shell out some bucks and buy some more wood. I don't have a way of posting any picts, which probably doesn't help much. But if I can come up with a digital camera I'll get some up. Thanks in advance.

Lizard_King :D

Cocobolos and other rosewoods have variegated (sp?) grain patterns.

If this is a smooth, pretty even colored wood ... then it ain't cocobolo.

Santos Mahogany smells very nice/fragrant when you cut it. I like this wood.

Post a pic ... we'll ID it for you, if we can.

-- joe