electric guitar neck

suggestion.wait until it comes in and try to figure out what model it is.then find out number of frets and scale length and make sure the neck you buy is the same.it has to be or the bridge-nut distance will not be correct.i would bet that it is a 22 fret and i am 99.9% sure it is 25.5 but you need to be 100% sure.where do you live elton?

someone correct me if i am wrong but i think 22 and 21 necks have the same dillema.you can get a 22 fret neck to fit in a 21 by buying one made for that purpose.the fingerboard hangs past the end of the neck.stock ones have a deeper neck pocket like i said. :D

someone correct me if i am wrong but i think 22 and 21 necks have the same dillema.you can get a 22 fret neck to fit in a 21 by buying one made for that purpose.the fingerboard hangs past the end of the neck.stock ones have a deeper neck pocket like i said. :D

Nope. 21 fret neck and 22 fret necks share the same scale length, unles you got some freak copy. 99% of all 21 and 22 fret necks are "Fender scale." Leo designed his first necks with 21 frets, then CBS added the 22nd fret later, by making the "overhang."

It's possible that that Johnson neck won't fit, but there's a better chance that the Charvel is made to accept a traditional Fender style neck heel.

yes it is but some 24 fret necks have a deeper neck pocket which changes the relationship th the bridge.i knew someone would say that! :D

*Some* 24 fret necks do have the heels moved down the neck, like the AANJ Ibanez necks. Quite a few have the overhang ala earlier Ibanez necks.

I think these Charvels came with 22 fret necks, but I'm not sure.

~d~

i don't mean to contradict you but i want the correct info to be here.i have 2 modern 24 fret necks and 2 modern 22 fret necks.the 24 fret necks are a full inch longer from the heel to the nut.i don't have a 21 fretter to check as i am not a fender man but the 22 fret neck is 18 1/2 inches from nut to heel.if you have a 25.5" 21 fret neck check it and see.i would like to know because i would rather be wrong and learn the correct info than to be wrong and keep on thinking i am right.but i agree that his guitar is probably a 22 fretter.but it is best to make sure because charvel does produce 24 fretters as well :D

change those dimensions.

22 frets-18 3/8"

24 frets-19 1/8"

nut to heel

(i dissassembled to get a more accurate dimension.)

these dimensions are from;ibanez sabre,scheter omen 6,jackson super telly,fernandes revolver pro,cheapo kamen something or other.

these guitars all have fender style neck pockets.the difference is in the bridge placement.the bridge is placed to compensate for the extra 3/4"

Since you cannot do any measurements on the neck this will not be of any help right now, but perhaps this might be helpful for future reference:

1. To determine what scale length a neck was made for, measure from the nut to the 12th fret (one octave) the scale length will always be 2x's that measurement, example a strat or tele neck will measure 12 3/4 inches nut to 12th fret, twice that is 25 1/2 inches, the scale length for those guitars.

2. This is valuable to know because if you are building a guitar, with the neck bolted on the body you can determine where to place the bridge, i.e. the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge saddle must be the same as from the nut to the 12th fret.

3. Lets say you buy this neck and it is 12 3/4 inches from the nut to the 12th fret, but when you bolt it to the body the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge saddle is 13 inches. It will not work this way, you will never be able to intonate it. But if you have room, you might be able to make the neck pocket 1/2 inch longer, moving the neck the necessary 1/2 closer to the bridge. Now you would have the proper scale length and be able to tune and intonate it properly. If the distance is too short I don't know if you could shim behind it and move the neck back, I guess it would depend on the body and the neck bolt holes, also you would have a gap between the end of the neck and the body neck pocket.

kind of a long post, but hope it helps.