Aussie Timber To Use

GREGMW

Hi,

I want to build another guitar out of something different from Ash or Mahogony

Do any of you guys have any idea on some of the Australian timbers I could use for solid bodies and or necks.

Thanks

Greg

Thanks Mkat,

Yes I know Gerard .

What I was after ,is to try to find out what Australian timbers ,if any, you guys have used and maybe some comment how they came out.

I suppose its a bit of a broad question but I am interested in trying something a bit different,but avoiding problems that others have found.

I was thinking maybe Jarrah,Alder ,Queensland Maple or Tassie oak.

Regards

Greg

The maton website has aussie timbers and what kinda tone the have, etc. some of em sound pretty interesting. I just wish there were some Kiwi guitar companies, cause id like to know how some of our woods would shape up (like rimu for instance, or a big lump of macrocarpa :D )

Isn't Lacewood an Aussie wood?; or silky oak as it gets called. Supposed to be similar to Alder in tone and weight but looks much nicer (if you like lizard skin) I'm going to be using some on my next project, looks like a lot of "fun" to get a nice smooth finish on it.... :D

Jarrah isn't very sensible for building as it is -extremely- tough and dense. Its used a lot for outdoor furniture.

Otherwise, a lot of ones that have been mentioned are apparently good, Tasmanian Oak, Silky Oak (Lacewood), Queensland Maple, Victorian Ash and im sure there is many more.

I was told that Silky Oak has a very Mahogany-like tone, only a smidge less boomy, but I think the key is that it is a nice tonewood which is worth a try at least.