How Many Watts Does This Head Have?

Gigabyte

I just bought a crate head for 55 smackolas from a pawn shop. It's a g-600..... I'm a little confused about how many watts it puts out. It has two markings on the back. Where the speaker jacks go it says:

60 WATTS RMS @ 4 OHMS

... but by the model and serial number it says:

120V 60HZ * 200 WATTS MAX

Which is it, 60W or 200W? Sorry if this sounds stupid. I've never actually bought anything bigger than a practice amp. Also, will this be good enough (loud enough) to use on stage at a medium sized club or is it too weak?

Any suggestions on a cabinet as far as specific wattage and ohms, etc..... ? I'm only going to buy one cabinet (half stack)...

Thanks for any info you have...

Fred

It takes power to make power - this amp produces 60 watts (that's probably pretty optomistic) of power and uses less than 200 watts of power from the mains supply to do it. As for gigging with it, with a decent PA system, you can play the Grand Canyon with it - 60 watts should be more than enough for club gigging (unless you've gotta be OSHA-shutdown stoopid loud). You want a 4 ohm, 60 watt cabinet (so long as you only run one - if you're gonna run a full stack you'll need two 8 ohm cabs).

Thanks for the help guys. Glad to hear my cheapy head will do.

I do have more question now though.....

1. If I can run 2 cabinets at 60 watts each and 8 oms each what would happen if I ran a "Y" jack into one cabinet? Would I use a 120 watt cabinet (if so, how many ohms?)? Would it make 120 Watts (optimally) running it like this or am I not understanding or would that not even work? I'm not asking this because I want to get louder.... I'm asking because I'm mix-matching stuff and I'm going to find the best priced cabinet I can find that will work with my head so I'm just trying to understand what options I have.......

2. In the even I can't find a cabinet with 4 ohms, would something higher be compatible? What effect will having higher ohms have? Would something blow out (ie: speakers or even the head)?

3. For a half stack, what if I can only find, say a 75 watt cabinet? Would that do or would the head be too weak to push it, which in turn would affect the sound quality? Again, looking for options just incase I absolute can't find a used 60watt cab.

Maybe I just think too much and over complicate :D .......but thanks for the help.....

No. You need to realize that you only have 60 watts to work with and you only have that available with a 4 ohm load. If your load is higher than 4 ohm, you have less output to work with. Get 2 8 ohm cabs of at least 40 watt capacity or 1 4 ohm cab of at least 75 watt capacity. All you got is 60 watts. @ 4 ohms. Less at higher ohms.

Alright, new question..... I've looked high and low for a used 60 watts @ 4 ohm cab and can't find one anywhere. HOWEVER, it seems that 120 watt - 4 ohm cabs are falling out of the sky........

What negative effect would I get running a 60 watt head with a 120 watt cab (both being 4 ohms)? Will I still get the same volume and clarity as if I were running a 60 watt cab?

If that doesn't work I'll wait a bit to see if I can find a 60 watt cab.... If not, I'll have to just get rid of this head and find a 120 watt'r............... Thanks for the input............

the 120 would be fine. the volume would be the same if the speaker sensitivity is the same, and for your average guitar speaker thats 97dB - the famous celestion Gt75 is 97dB spl (at 1 metre i think) so i wouldnt lose sleep over it!

Mike