Es 335

I've considered making this for a while now and changed my mind from the standard SG model to a 335. From many forums of different sites, i get the impression that you must first make a mold of this and use a bending pipe to bend the wood (i think i could make this). However, how does it all fit together? I mean this as in, "if i bent the would to its close shape, and then clamped it in the mold, would it just move itself into the position of the mold making it completely semetrical to the other side? Or am i just a nut? :D

I have also gathered some dimensions for this, but need kind of a "check up" on them. Here I go:

Body at Widest Point: 16 1/2"

Long: 20"

Thick: 1 3/4"

Are these right? If not, can someone correct them for me?

Any effort and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robbie

Ok, well i have a free downloaded template from Guitar Build and I did a measurement check of the distance from the widest point on the left side of the waist to the widest point on the right side of the waist. It showed:

WORLD COORDINATES:

Dist = 407.83 in

Correspond to the first

and last points:

DeltaX = 3.51 in

DeltaY = -407.81 in

Angle(with 0X)=270.49

I am assuming that the Dist = 407.83 is the measurement that i tried measuring. This is OBVIOUSLY not the scale, so how do i set it to true scale and then use my printer to print it out on multiple pages which i will tape together?

Sorry for all the hell i probably cause here on this forum :D

Thanks,

Robbie

That is my plan on Guitar Build. The scale is 1:1 measurements are all METRIC in Millmetres. Your 407 Inches are in fact 407.83mm divide by 25.4 to get inches: 16.05 inches

What CAD are you using? Make sure you are set to Millimeters!

Good Luck

Keith

Thanks alot Keith. You really helped me out. Now i am sure i can build this baby with my new plans :D . I really owe ya one! I figured how to print it out properly......and i realised i was the biggest goof in the world and that it was extremely simple.

Thanks SO much dude!

Robbie

BTW! im using TurboCAD Learning Edition

Glad I could help.

I am currently building my own 335. I've got the body block cut and am busy with the sides. I just scrapped a set of sides which I wasn't happy with. I had a go at bending them from maple finished three ply but I was not happy with the final result so I am going to redo them by bending and laminating from maple veneer.

I will post some pictures when I have got things a little further down the line.

I am also using TurboCad LE by the way.

Keith

The 335 style of guitar is based on acoustic guitar principles with the sides bent. The sides will be much stronger this way and can therefore be thinner (about 2.5 to 3 mm, roughly around 1/8') and hence also lighter. Apart from the huge waste of wood to route out the inside, the grain will still all run parallel to the centre line and will have to be a good bit thicker at the edges to stop cracking.

I have built a side bender along the Fox bender principles to bend my sides.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked and looked and looked for some kind of tutorial for this fox bender. My dad thinks he can help me build it (im 15 years old, incase you didn't know :D).

Just, i would have to change the wooden sides to whatever body shape im bending. Isn't that such a waste of time? Like, can someone prove me wrong here and show me how to get this fox bender built for my "to come" es-335.

Thanks

Robbie