Hey there. I'm a guitarist. :D I'm 18 years old and I'm interested in building my own guitar, and the more I've looked around, the more I'm starting to think it's all possible. Since I'm finishing my exams and leaving college soon, in the next year, I'll have a job and I don't want to spend all my free time just playing playstation, so I thought that making my own guitar would be a good hobby to take up.

Just one question though - i don't have a lot of fancy equipment available that I can use to make a guitar, so I'd be making it by hand most of the way. I don't have a router or anything like that, but I'm quite confident that I'll be able to do it without one, though it'll require much more effort.

I've not actually started yet. I'm just aspiring, but it looks like I'll actually get this one off the ground. I doubt I'll be able to make a really good instrument. I'm just hoping that I can make some kind of flying V style guitar that I can plug in and play, even if it does sound bad. (At least I can say I made it!)

Yeah. I saw the strat thingy that's this month's featured guitar, and it gave me some confidence that I could do it by hand. I'm just worried mainly about doing the truss rod trench without a router. I'm crap at woodwork, so knowing me, I'll find some way to screw it up.

But it's gonna be fun making the thing, and if i finish with a guitar that is actually playable, I'll be over the moon!

I've decided that I'll have a maple body, maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard. This seems to be the general advice I've found anyway. I've just got to find a wood dealer who'll sell some decent rose/maple wood, (i.e. No knots.) and I can start.