How Do You Get These Damn Les Paul Bushings Out?!?

I'm kidding. Of course I know how. I just wanted to watch the collective blood pressure of the knowlege snobs penetrate the ionosphere. Why is it that people get so upset over newbies asking their questions in this forum?

If new posts covering familliar territory pop up frequently that's a good thing. It's a sign that increasing numbers of people are taking up the art that inspires you and me. The more luthiers there are, the more experience and knowlege there is to share. Instead of condescendingly tossing a link to a general section at someone and acting like they're lucky the didn't get smacked for asking, why not find the actual answer, post a link to that, and offer the new user some suggestions on how to navigate this website and others related to the topic?

I'm sure many still-learning-luthiers, I'm one, work on borrowed time. Sometimes it can take a while to navigate a site that you're still getting familliar with. There's a funt of knowlege here, but I can attest to it being difficult to locate at times. Is it that bad for someone who gets lost in search of answers to ask for directions?

Learning together is easier in a relaxed and friendly community. So what if there's a few extra posts on the message boards? All the more to read through while you kill time. I say if you've got a question; ask it.

Now, about those bushings, I have a little technique, one you won't find anywhere on this website, that makes it easier to get them out. 1) Score the finish around the bushings with a sharp razor blade or exacto knife. 2) Remove the bridge. 3)Take the bridge assembly off its adjustable screws. 4) Place the bridge ontop of the bushings so that their holes line up. 5) Thread the adjustable screws through the bridge and into the bushings. 6) Turn them one full turn. 7) Place a piece of soft cloth under the bridge and something thin and hard for a prying surface over the cloth. 9) With a heavy duty screwdriver or other lever, pry against the bottom of the bridge.

The bushings will pop right out unless they're glued in. If you suspect that yours are glued in, insert the tip of a hot soldering iron into the bushings, hold it there for a few minutes to melt the glue, and QUICKLY repeat the steps.

You're so darn funny.  :D

Now, about those bushings, I have a little technique, one you won't find anywhere on this website

You sure?

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial6.htm

I suppose yours is slightly different.

If you're referring to the article on pulling a trem post, yes it is completely different. If you're referring to another article, that just illustrates my point that stuff on this site isn't always easy to find if you don't already know where it is because I followed your link and that was the most relevant thing I noticed there. The real point of this thread is this: This board is a place where a guy making shavings on his first project with the most basic tools can post his dilemas as they arise and recieve input on it from guitar makes of all skill and experience levels. Even the most simple task can be approached innumerous ways. The guy who's pulling a bridge bushing is no less deserving of the help he can get here than the guy who broke the head off his '57 Standard. It's amazing to me that the nicer some of these people are the more they get bashed. These guys just want to get their guitars straightened out.

if you want to complain seriously go to this topic

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15169

anyways if you have a great tutorial then post it in the tutorial section (if you haven't already) its good to get new insight!

-Jamie

Thanks for the bushings tip...I'm actually pondering a re-top of a LP at the moment.

I'm sure many still-learning-luthiers, I'm one, work on borrowed time.  Sometimes it can take a while to navigate a site that you're still getting familliar with.

So what if there's a few extra posts on the message boards?  All the more to read through while you kill time.

By all means, ask questions, that's what this board is for. All the same....no matter if you're working on borrowed time, or have time to kill, learning to search the board (and then doing so) will produce far more information in a far shorter time than waiting around for someone to answer your post.

I remove post bushings a little different than the way you describe. I score the paint same as you desribe. I have a hole (a bit bigger than the bushing) drilled in an 8" square piece of plywood. I pull the bridge and adjusting nut off. Place the board over the bushing (with a heavy felt polishing cloth under the board) and re-thread a 10-32 stud a couple of turns(I think some bushings use different size studs). Put a fender washer over the stud and run a nut down on the washer, slowly tighten it to pull the stud up a bit (it just takes a bit then the stud pulls out pretty easy). Haven't messed with glue but it seems like you and Brian have the same soldering iron technique to soften the glue.

Peace Rich