Fox Vhantom - My First Guitar

Hi Guys. I just joined this thing a couple weeks ago. Here's a picture of my first guitar. Almost finished. I'm gonna do some inlay on the fingerboard, and put something on the headstock. I play in a garage band, so it's gonna get beat up pretty good. I didn't work the finish too hard, as I was running out of time at the spray booth I was using. It's gonna get some simple pinstripe work. I know these things came with single coils, but I love these mother of pearl hums. 7037736_28d8787597_b.jpg

this site is amazing.

Body is made from Mahogany (with a piece of pine or something off a shipping crate glued on for the outside bit) Neck is Maple, fingerboard is Cocobollo wood.

I originally was going to build myself a les paul jr, because I love the way they sound. So I bought a piece of mahogany. It cost me more money than I thought it would, and I was going to have quite a bit of extra material, so I decided to build two guitars out of it. I didn't quite have enough, so that low point on the bottom side, and about an inch of the horn on the Les Paul are both from scraps I had lyin around that I glued on to make big enough pieces for two guitars. I figured, they're far enough from the strings and pickup, they shouldn't affect the sound.

Well, I have to say I would have bought more wood. the idea of gluing packing crate on my guitar would make me cringe :D Just dont drop it on the shipping crate bit.

Nice job tho. the simple colours make it look really retro. its like something from the 70s that Slade would have played! :D

How does it sound?

I've barely got to hear it yet, and not through my own amp. We're recording next weekend and playing a couple shows (One with Shonen Knife from Japan) so I'll get to hear it a lot soon. I ran it through a fender deluxe (I think) and it sounded all right, but I won't know till I get it going through a twin all out, so I can hear it with the tubes breaking up. I played it side by side with an old airline archtop that I put a p90 in, and it's not as mean sounding as the archtop. A little more treble. I love the tone I get from the Airline. When I show up to a club with it, the sound guy looks like he's going to cry. But for some reason I can keep it from feeding back, and just let it howl when I want it to.

Billy

Wow..

you make neck your self?

it it amazing ...

my first time making guitar is not good.. but your making neck is good..

your fist time making is very successfull.. ^^

Thanks Hyunsu,

Yeah, I made the neck. I screwed up a few things, and it ended up being a hair narrower than I had planned, but it plays fine. I wanted to do everything on it, so I made the trussrod myself. I wasted a lot of time there, and next time I'll just buy one. But I cut the slot for the trussrod after I cut the shape out on the band saw. So it was tricky to get the slot in properly. Or took a little more time anyways. I built an Erliwine neck jig, and had a radius block to sand the radius into the fretboard, so the most difficult thing was keeping the sides perfectly straight. I had a jig that I used to cut the fret slots on a table saw and had a friend who knows what he's doing helping me along.

Billy

If I had it to do again, I'd do the headstock shape differently, but I still wouldn't use that ugly Vox shape. It looks like Grimace from McDonalds. Just a blob. I'd probably do something like one of the cool italian guitars.

yeah, our band our thinking about covering "Kicks" They did some wicked stuff. Some of it's a bit sleepy, but when they go, they go.

Billy

Edited by Billy Bones