New Project

first attempt at pics of my current (and first ) gat hope they work

1st pic; neck and body shape plan (necks from a cheap strat copy but its the nicest guitar ive ever played in terms of action and inotation, horrible sound though)

2nd is my first scallop job.used $2 shop files in pic

3rd is better shot of paua inlays i did myself

neck still needs cleaning up

pic1pic2pic3

the plan so far

tom bridge (ressesed no neck angle)

gotoh machine heads

body wood; had my heart set on honduran mahogany but cant find a supply here in nz

only sapele. how inferior is it to honduran?

the idea for this guitar was a classic lp sort of tone. but once i thought about the body shape i thought well i dont want to go though the hassle of building a body if looks just like every other guitar so i came up with this shape (based vaugely on dime bags gat) then i thought that the shape would suit a metal sort of sound

but i sort of have that base covered with my rg with emg 81/85s

now i cant decide on pickups asides from i want coil splitting

all sugestions welcome

yeah its not the final design

the curves that meet the neck will come further up the neck to about

the forteenth fret

im left handed so it will be on the opposite to normal

i would like to do an AANJ but ill cross that bridge when i get to it :D

OOo it reminds me of something, like a jackson warrior? is that the one? I cant remember. Still its gonna be interesting to see this one develop. The inlay job on the neck is killer! Id love to see the proper jackson sharkfins in that stuff. That would look awesome!

As for pickups, Kent Armstrong Pups are supposed to be great value and uo there with the SDs and Dimarzios. Or you got the Bill Lawrence range. Im keen to try some of those myself.

Your choice really, but if you play metal, I would say EMG all the way. keep us posted!

Edited by Digideus

i dont think ill go with emgs ive allready got some and since ive got nickel hardware i wanted to get pickups that i can get nickel covers (and coz dimebag uses em) i saw on the bill laurence sit u can get nickel covers but i couldnt find any pics

does anyone have a link or a pic or just explain to me what the L500 nickel cover looks like please

i just ordered a router bit with a bearing for using with a template they only come with a 1/4" 6mm or 1/2 12mm shank(got the 6mm) and the dick who i bought the router off of trademe (nz ebay) advertised it with a 6mm and 8mm collets

but it only came with the 8mm and i dont think they make replacment parts on such a cheap brand so now im stuck with a useless router and all i can do is hassle him by email and place bad feedback :D

it seems noone seems to know anything about the tonal qualitys of sapele mahogany ive only seen it on guitar washburn the shadow fall guitarist signature gat. but ive also heard gibson use it on their guitars when they're running low on honuran supplies or just want more profit

this seems beleivable to me because on gibson.com they dont usually specifiy exact wood type they just say mahogany. dont u think that if they were using the more superior wood (honduran) they would say "honduran mahogany"? i know i sure as hell would .

im confused

• 1 month later...

Hey man I like the design and all but did you maybe dray it out backwards or are you a lefty? and also If your not wanting EMG's and It sounds like your a dimebag

fan I would say you should realy go with the SD invaders and maybe if you still want the nickel covers you coul just mod them and drill out some larger holes

That an Idea that i've been tossing around for a while!

!!METAL MATT!! :D