My Dream Guitar Doesn't Exist!

Hi. I have seen this place on and off for a long time. Being rather obsessive, I have searched well over 5,000+ models of guitar to find one that suited my needs/wants. It does not exist.

So, there's no way I'll ever be happy unless I get a custom one made. I don't live in a very populated area right now, and so I doubt there's anyone who would be able to make it. Also, I'm not so sure how much someone would charge to make it.

I find it an odd chance that I would make it myself, because it would involve a lot of work, learning, and tools I just do not have (I do have some tools for wood making, not all I would need however).

So, how would you guys go about having someone make one? Is it conceavable to have someone make it without seeing it first-person? I love some of the peoples work here, and some models can get close to my interests.

What are the costs involve? For the wood, and the larger tools?

I will see you all around as I learn more.

Here's two more questions:

Anyone seen a custom made acrylic? (or non-wood) model?

How about a model designed from a solid metal skeleton, with wood used for shaping rather than the skeleton itself - for instance a basic body-truss-nut skeleton with a custom wood shaping?

See you around!

hey,

do you mean the way the old kramers and later vacarro metal necks were?

neckback.jpg

never seen a whole guitar built like that, but I have played a few vacarro's and couldn't tell the difference between a metal neck and wood.

Hope this helps.

-Vadim

otgordin - very good example of what I was thinking. Do you know much about how one of these is made? I would think it's quite difficult to sculp such measurements into a metal versus a wood.

I would love to just go with a more sturdy structure than wood, since wood needs a metal rod anyways, might as well go with all metal. However, this would probably be quite a hard thing to come up with and have made.

I would love to just go with a more sturdy structure than wood, since wood needs a metal rod anyways, might as well go with all metal.

The metal rod (truss rod) in regular guitar neck is not there for strength but more so to shape the bow of the neck. The wood is giving the neck it's strength......not the metal rod inside the neck. You might wanna do search on the trussrod to get better understanding of working of guitar to begin with.

Sometimes Carbon rods are used in neck to add stability/strength to neck, hardly ever metal. Example in pic is pure for cosmetic reasons.

Being rather obsessive, I have searched well over 5,000+ models of guitar to find one that suited my needs/wants.

5,000?!?!

Seems you are very hard to please............although I have the idea you have limited knowledge about inner workings of guitar, and therefor have some twisted ideas about it.

Having said this.......

Doesn't mean you can't be creative and original.

Have look at this..........Birdfish

Edited by RGGR

RGGR - Of course I am hard to please - that is why everyone on this board wants custom guitars, because they have ideas that don't exist elsewhere. And I have a very fine understanding of how a guitar works - and that's why I know that a traditional model is a very poor design which has many problems - the instrument is not even in tune, how much worse can it get!

As for the truss rod issue - you seem to be mistaken yourself. A truss rod is used to counter the bowing of the wood, it is the rods strength which counters this, and so a truss rod is definietely used only for strength.

Also - many of my needs are based on having large hands - a normal electric guitar is made for a dwarf-man or an 8 year old. It's not designed for modern needs of a modern player. Most of my custimizations are not just for the heck of it - they're corrections to a very poor old-fashioned instrument. I can't help it if nobody makes them up to par.

PS: I am sure you've seen 5,000 guitars in your lifetime, and out of that - how many of them are perfect for you as a player? Not to many I bet.

PSS: The birdfish looks nice, I'd consider trying one if I weren't going to make a custom. However, that is made for looks and my custom has nothing to do with looks. It has to do with anatomy and physiology only, not style.

Edited by MasterMinds

As for costs, plan on $200-300 in wood (for an all-wood guitar, depending on how figured or exotic your wood choices) and at least $400 on hardware (depending on type & number of pickups). Finishing costs vary widely...from a few bucks (Tru Oil) to maybe $100 just for the raw materials.

Tools? You name it...probably $1500-$2000 in my case. But I'll be building more than a few guitars. It could easily run 10 times that for a fully outfitted shop.

You should get in touch with a custom builder to get this done, unless you want to dedicate several years to learning how to do it yourself.

Let me just say that you will not think the first guitar you build is teh guitar for you. espicially if you've said no to 5000 guitars :D After about 5 or 6 you will make one you would like to keep for a lifetime. But If you just want one guitar that is perfect I would recomend saving up enough and buying a custom made instrement. And an electric guitar bought sight unseen is no big deal if your dealing with a reputiable person.

erikbojerik - those were the figures I had in mind. 300 for wood - who knows what for workmanship - as for hardware, this depends on a few factors. I am likely going to go with a sustainer and midi pickup, but not all at once for sure.

I would say I will spend 1000 dollars - and of course all the hardware will transfer to a second model if the first is not ideal enough, only the wood will be non-transferable.

I may go with a simple setup like I have now, who knows.

godinSD - I suspect it will be very close to perfect, but I will have critiques. Most of my calculations are based on ideals in other instruments, just not all in the SAME instrument. Also remember the style is not artistic - my customizations are based on the feeling of playing, not some goofy looking body shape or something.

ALL - I will definietely not be making this myself - I have no need for buying tools at all, and could not do this craftsmanship - no time and no money for massive tools!

I just measured some things and am putting them into the design on paper, soon I will have some solid ideas in mind.

You sure seem to have a good understanding masterminds. You obviously took Physics in High School! :D I've only gotten as far as Chemistry sciences wise, if you exclude Electronics... It really sounds like you want something REALLY special and unique. I don't think too many of us here on the forum are that ambicious (sp? damn meds kill my memory!) to venture that far from that tradition!

I think the Birdfish is a cool idea! You could also look at what Steinberger and Parker has done as far as alternative materials and construction goes, but chances are you already have. Don't ask what has happened with the acrylic headstocks on some of those BC Rich guitars though...

I came to the same conclusion as that guy and as a cheap and easy solution, actually ran a threaded steel rod down the middle of the body of one my of guitars and had it run into the bolt on neck for contact. Nuts were added to put adjustable tension of the rod, like a truss rod. What it did was keep the center of the body from vibrating and made all the sound waves dissipate to the sides of the body AND to the neck! This made the guitar sound much sweeter, articulate, and it sustained more. I guess you could call it a "Poor Man's Neck-Thru"! :D (Pics and Tutorial coming soon!)

Having one solid piece is more important (even on an electric) than a lot of people think.

I know that in theory a guitar as it is, will never be perfect in intonation for playing chords, but when you consider the height of the frets and the fact that you push down on them, you have another factor added. I've been playing for a solid 6 or 7 years, and I noticed that the hand subconciously gives you the right pressure after playing long enough. I guess this is why I like playing with heavier gauge strings, not to mention they seem to stay in tune better for some reason. Of course the thicker sound helps! :D I played a guitar with an Earvana nut (some high-end LTD) and noticed it lacked something in it's sound, no idea what. Could have just been a crappy set up, though, but it played quick with no buzzing, hmm... I also notice that a Floyd Rose (blocked or non-recessed) tends to have some of the best intonation I've ever heard, next to a Tune-O-Matic that's not wobbly and planted in the guitar well.

With this said and done, knowing it's limitations, I'd suggest learning to build your own or try and work with a small-time luthier (some will charge less than you think) to make it a reality. Maybe have metal parts custom-made at a machine shop somewhere if necessary.

BTW, I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread.

Good luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with! B)

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh
So, there's no way I'll ever be happy unless I get a custom one made. I don't live in a very populated area right now, and so I doubt there's anyone who would be able to make it. Also, I'm not so sure how much someone would charge to make it.

Good plans, email, and postal service is the answer to your prayers. Throw in respectable custom builder and you're in business.

many of my needs are based on having large hands - a normal electric guitar is made for a dwarf-man or an 8 year old. It's not designed for modern needs of a modern player. Most of my custimizations are not just for the heck of it - they're corrections to a very poor old-fashioned instrument. I can't help it if nobody makes them up to par.

Sorry for being physiologically challenged man! I feel for you. B)

But like most commercial items. They are made for the masses........designed for average man with average needs.

RGGR - Of course I am hard to please - that is why everyone on this board wants custom guitars, because they have ideas that don't exist elsewhere.

I get dual vibe here......you're not only want something to fit your physics......you also want to improve on current guitar design. :D

I would say go for it. If you have ideas how things can be improved........why not have them brought to light.

As there are people with ideas, and people whom are gifted worksmen. Hardly you find these two things combined. Hence, most of us are building knock-off of current designs (with all there imperfections).

Interested to hear what is brewing in your head. Cause I get the feeling that simply bolting bigger size neck on regular body (to better fit your hands) doesn't cut it for you.

Bring it on!!! :D

Edited by RGGR

My "dream guitar" is taking shape, basically by combining & modifying parts of other guitars. But the main idea isn't radical, I just tweak the little particulars.

Do you know enough about the particulars you want to communicate them to a builder? If so, he could get it very close without you seeing it. But IMO, you should get your hands on a custom axe BEFORE it's finished, so any final body/neck shaping tweaks can be done before finishing.

On the metal neck - I can't remember who did it (Ovation?), but somebody had a metal T-beam in their neck at one point. The metal (aluminum, IIRC) was totally internal, but made it strong and stable. Also unadjustable. I assume you could do this with graphite, if you could form the stuff. As mentioned, graphite rods are used in necks, and Carvin used metal rods for a year before going to graphite.