Floyd mounting

I recently purchased an original Floyd Rose tremolo on eBay. It came with the screw-in type studs. I've heard that they are risky to use, but I haven't heard anything from people who I think know what they are talking about. Thus I'm asking here.

Will they damage the wood? Is it worth the trouble making my own non-screw-in type studs?

Thanks in advance

The problem with buying new stuff is that shipping from anywhere to Sweden is really expensive, compared to the parts I might want to get. How hard is birch (I think that's what you call the tree that is white with black "dots" on it)?

Oh, btw, what's the difference between locking and non-locking studs?

• 2 weeks later...
The problem with buying new stuff is that shipping from anywhere to Sweden is really expensive, compared to the parts I might want to get. How hard is birch (I think that's what you call the tree that is white with black "dots" on it)?

did you check GMF (www.gmf.se)? they have the threaded bushing posts. you don't have to order these things from the US you know.

Locking posts like the ones Ibanez used to use have a set screw inside them. When you screw this little set screw against the bottom of the bushing (after you've set your action and everything) it locks the post preventing it from slight movement back & forth. Because the posts/studs are not super tight in the bushing alone. Same with Floyd Rose studs, the move a little bit. There were locking Floyd Rose studs at one time, I don't know if they were made by Floyd Rose themselves. I have an old Warmoth catalog from 1993/94 and they were selling them at the time. I wish i would've snatched a few pair of those!

www.gmf.se seems to be a useful place. Though their descriptions certainly lack detail. But they might turn out useful, so thanks!