12th Fret Higher, Filing?

Hey guys, 12th fret on one of my guitars is riding kinda high, especially on the bass side of the fretboard. Because of this, some of the frets (10/11) on the strings are fretting out or sound like it's actually being fretted on the 12th since the string is touching.

Action and neck adjustments aren't gonna work, so I'm thinking I need to file the 12th fret down a bit so that it's level with the others.

Can anyone suggest files/tools to do this right? Should I just use a file...or a sanding block...?

MJ

If that is what you figure you have to do, then a crowning file will do the job. If that fret is high then there has to be a reason. Just make sure that is the solution you need. A small straight edge that spans 3 frets will let you know for sure. First, make sure the fret hasn't just loosened out of the fret slot. You'd be amazed at how easily a light "tap" can fix an annoying problem. Double check your overall neck "straightness" with a long straightedge. One of my rules of thumb is that you have to begin on a flat base, first and foremost, before doing ANY fretwork. So make the proper truss rod adjustment to get in the ballpark.

I assume you don't have a crowning file so a small triangluar file w/ 2 edges ground smooth works with some practice. Tape the fretboard on either side of the high fret. The file is used with the smoothed edges on either side of the fret. "Roll and pitch" the file along the fret following the fret radius and the fretboard radius, respectively. Swipe one side then the other while constantly checking w/ your straightedge, all along the fret. Identify the high spots and know what your file is capable of, ie. effects of pressure applied can also = no. of swipes, so try to maintain consistency. When you feel you are getting close lighten up, less swipes, and check more often. That is the trick, some folks figure "they" can get it just right with a rather coarse file and by the time "they" think "they" are at the mark, "they" have gone to far. ("they" = me :D ). You learn from mistakes, ya know. Then finish up with 320 grit, then 2 stages finer (your choice) then polish w/ 000 steel wool.

Edited by Southpa

i might take it to a pro for an isolated job like that, or if you're feeling in the mood, maybe the stewmac fret rocker, a medium size jewlers file, and a small set for touching up, and some steel wool.