Searching For An Old Guitar Bridge

A while ago I picked up this second hand guitar.. it's an old japanese b-brand guitar 'avora' and here is a picture:

Avora%20small.JPG

the messurment for the bridge is 6,3 cm.. thats messured from screw to screw, so it's about a cm smaller than a standard bridge. The local guitarshops have tried looking for it, but either there are no messurments provided in their catalogs, or they just don't contain one of this size. Also the internet has been helpless. From annother forum I was sent here.. maybe anyone can help me about this? Even if someone has one of those bridges, maybe I could buy it off them. Otherwise I will have the whole bridge replaced. will mean drilling two new holes. I don't think it should effect the guitar much, though I'd preferre an original bridge. Can anyone help? would be much apprechiated :D

Contact the guy who runs this site. He might be able to help you out. He deals in mostly Airline, Teisco, Hondo and other Asian guitar brands made during the 60's and 70's. Lots of bizarre designs to see too! As you mentioned, one option is to reposition the bridge mount posts and install a different bridge. Could you maybe drill out a TOM bridge block to that post width instead? It would save the trouble of having to mess around with the finish.

Edited by Southpa

I agree with the above comments. I'd say 90% that it's a Teisco just looking at the pup covers and maybe, just maybe it's an old Hofner.

As Scott said eBay is your best bet for parts. They are out there and there are plenty of them. I actually have a bridge that will fit but it's not leaving my Teisco ET-200 :D

BTW SouthPa that is a killer site!! It's now bookmarked baby!! Did you see that minty mint Airline on bottom of the 60's page?!?! Holy Smokes!!

EDIT: Make sure to search tIEsco and tEIsco on ebay. Many of us spell it both ways!!

I agree with the above comments. I'd say 90% that it's a Tiesco just looking at the pup covers and maybe, just maybe it's an old Hofner.

As Scott said eBay is your best bet for parts. They are out there and there are plenty of them. I actually have a bridge that will fit but it's not leaving my Tiesco ET-200  :D

BTW SouthPa that is a killer site!! It's now bookmarked baby!! Did you see that minty mint Airline on bottom of the 60's page?!?! Holy Smokes!!

Thanks for your comments so far.. first of all.. I've come across that site.. it's excellent.. will give that guy an email, if ebay brings nothing.. Just wondering though, you all were saying its a Tiesco? would this be the mother firm of 'Avora' them? I have also seen a pic of a guitar on internet of the same guitar, but then with annother brandname, can't remember it though :S.. insama , something like that.. what kind of companies where they? And if it's a tiesco, would it mean it's worth more than 70 euros? (the amount I paided for it)

Yeah, I remember contacting him years ago by email, forgot what the subject was, but I was automatically put on his email list for the monthly newsletter. Lots of interesting topics to read about all those strange designs. A good place to get ideas. :D

EDIT: See the amp in my avatar? Thats a Teisco 78-R all-tube amp from 1961. No great shakes as far as output and "quietness" (output tube biasing) goes but fully functional. The thing was only rated at about 25 watts and it weighed a TON. I sold it to a local Mom n' Pop music store for $125. I later learned that the amp was sold the very next day, the guy wouldn't tell me how much tho. Those old "rarities" tend to be more interesting to collectors these days.

Edited by Southpa

Teisco's are a funny lot.....they bring big money sometimes and nothing others. it depend on how bad whoever is looking wants it like anything else. Most are worth between $100 and $200 in very good to excellent shape. The more rare ones are worth more. If Euro's converts to $100-200 USD you did good because it looks to be in great shape from your pic.

Here's another site for you:

Teisco Twangers

btw.. is this the kind of bridge I'm looking for?

Nope, thats a cast aluminum "compensated" bridge for strictly archtop hollowbody guitars. I have a similar one installed on my old EKO archtop.

body0255ga.jpg

BTW, that piece of crap being sold on EBAY is definitely not worth $48.00, look how hacked up it is! I got mine, in mint condition, for 10 bucks!

Edited by Southpa

btw.. is this the kind of bridge I'm looking for?

Nope, thats a cast aluminum "compensated" bridge for strictly archtop hollowbody guitars. I have a similar one installed on my old EKO archtop.

http://img92.exs.cx/img92/2543/body0255ga.jpg

BTW, that piece of crap being sold on EBAY is definitely not worth $48.00, look how hacked up it is! I got mine, in mint condition, for 10 bucks!

I thought it was an auwful lot.. hmm what should the bridge then look like? :D maybe if I know what it looks like i can track it down easier, as no one ever bothers to include the measurements :D

Edited by skullder

i've got a teisco del rey right here in my hot little hand and i'm afraid that the distance between the two studs is exactlyl 65mm center to center. inside to inside is an even 60mm. it does look a lot like that and there were a lot of them made at different times so you may be on the right track but this one doesn't fit your specs.

good luck

i've got a teisco del rey right here in my hot little hand and i'm afraid that the distance between the two studs is exactlyl 65mm center to center.  inside to inside is an even 60mm.  it does look a lot like that and there were a lot of them made at different times so you may be on the right track but this one doesn't fit your specs.

good luck

are you willing to sell that? :D the guitarshop measured mine at 6,3.. so I checked again.. inside to inside is 60mm (60,5 to be exact) .. and center to center comes just a little over 64 mm.. which I guess would be the same to your measurments, or would they really make bridges with that little difference? let me know thanks :D

i'm afraid that i'm missing the same piece that you are plus the pickups were canabalized by the guy that gave it to me.