Painting Tips

Hey guyz im new here and my qestion is....i dont have allot of money and i was wondering if i can buy some Spray paint that is good on painting guitars....i want to Paint my Ibanez with a white color, and then add some coats of clear.....is there such a way to do it?....can it be done with Spray paint?.

Spray Paint i can buy at Home Depot.

Please guys....let me know.

Thanx

:D

Sure you can. I would look a little deeper into some of the tutorials etc. presented in project guitar and read up on what sort of options, methods, materials etc. etc. there are before continuing. And there is also a lot of free floating info on that in past discussion threads. You'll find a search button at the top right of this page. Welcome to the board. :D

Edited by Southpa

I wonder if the Wal-Marts in Canada stock the same stuff.

It would really help out when I get to paint, because otherwise it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get the job done.

If anyone knows of any specific available-in-Canada (or even better, available-in-Ontario) rattlecan solutions, I'd love to hear about it, too.

Greg

I haven't really checked, I get all my rattlecan laquers at autobody supply stores and I have tried a few from Zellers :D . The Walmarts in the US probably have more variety but good luck asking some clerk about nitrocellulose spray on laquer, hes gonna say "Huh??" I've always had bad luck when out shopping locally for specific guitar building needs. I usually wind up wasting gas and getting home in a foul mood. :D

Yeah, I went to an Auto specialty shop a long while ago... like November or something ridiculous. I asked the person for exactly that, and they were like, "I dunno. Whatcha need it for?" and then after I told them they responded with "I still dunno. Our stuff works on cars, though, if that helps."

<smacks forehead>

I didn't bother continuing research because I knew how far off it would be.

Greg

Greg, I'm not sure how far away you are from the American border (I think Ottawa is about an hour?), but what you can do is order products from the US and have them shipped to a Shipping Center just across the border. There are several that I can think of just in western BC, so I imagine there are many in the more heavily populated Ottawa/NY State area. For around 2 or 3 dollars, they'll call you when your package arrives and then hold it for you for up to a month. Then, whenever you have the time, you can drive down there and pick it up. From what I understand, it is perfectly legal to bring across hazardous finishing products as long as they are only for personal use, just so long as you claim them and pay the requisite taxes.

I haven't done this yet personally, but I know of others who have ordered products from ReRanch to these shipping centers quite successfully. It's quite a hassle having to drive across the border, but it's likely the only way to get a decent array of colors in nitro in Canada.

And Southpa, I actually live in Mill Bay, just up the highway from you in Victoria, and I've had some luck in finding refinishing supplies. You can get Deft nitro both locally and through mail order (Lee Valley). Also, you can get Mohawk products (I think they have a line of spray can nitrocellulose lacquer) from Slegg Lumber in Sooke or Sidney. They don't keep a stock of the products, but they'll be happy to order them in for you and you should have them within two weeks.

Or if you really want a selection of colors in nitro, you could do what I suggested to Greg above. It is quite a hassle given the time and expense of the ferry to Vancouver, but if you're ever planning to go to the mainland for another reason, you could probably make it work. There is a Shipping Center about 500m across the border in Point Roberts, so you can make a half hour detour off of the ferry in Tsawassen and then continue on your way.

What I've had absolutely no luck finding locally is grain filler. If you have a source, I'd love to hear it.

-Mark