Jem-ish Project

it'll be a miracle if thing plays one decent note when it's done. But that's what first guitars are for, learning. I'm not being careless, just inexperienced and learning the tools. And I'm having a lot of fun. lol.gif

No need to kick yourself down. You're doing great.

In relation to neck, I would recommend running it down planer again.

But I don't have planer you may respond.

Well....open Yellow Pages and start looking for furniture, woodworking facilities in your area. Ask around and you might find someone who has nice set-up wood shop.

For 6-pack or some small $$ a lot of people will be happy to help you out.

No need to buy expensive tools, if you take the effort to scope aroun and find the right people. Just spend hour on the phone.

it'll be a miracle if thing plays one decent note when it's done. But that's what first guitars are for, learning. I'm not being careless, just inexperienced and learning the tools. And I'm having a lot of fun. lol.gif

No need to kick yourself down. You're doing great.

In relation to neck, I would recommend running it down planer again.

But I don't have planer you may respond.

Well....open Yellow Pages and start looking for furniture, woodworking facilities in your area. Ask around and you might find someone who has nice set-up wood shop.

For 6-pack or some small $$ a lot of people will be happy to help you out.

No need to buy expensive tools, if you take the effort to scope aroun and find the right people. Just spend hour on the phone.

I agree. It's really easy too find a shop around you with some nice prople too help yo uout. I diddn't have a big enough bandsaw too resaw this peice of bubinga so I called around and found this real nice guy who did it and thickness sanded it for cheap.

Yeah, I'm cutting the AANJ soon. I think it'll make the whole thing come together also. Thanks for the comliment on the laminate, I think it'll come out pretty nice when it's done. Then I'll have to band saw it and to the scarf joint.

I'll post some pictures of my tools to give you an idea what I'm working with. It's a great inspiration and confidence builder for me to see what some builders do with simple hand tools. My band saw's really sad, my scroll saw I can't speak for since I just bought it from a garae sale for 20 bucks, and I have a few other decent ones. From what I can see, more than enough to get this done if I work carefully.

I'm considering using old electronics from my cheap Ibanez. My son's nine and I plan to give it to him, so if he learns to play and it's a good guitar, I'll put in some better guts. I'm thinking a bridge humbucker and a neck single coil.

Also have to design a headstock, which is a huge deal for me. On with the show!!

:D

Couple of quick pictures of the rough neck blank straight outta' the planer. (Camera Phone pix, sorry.)

pic0035.jpg

Came out pretty nice on one side, just a little clean-up to do.

pic0036.jpg

This side has a shitload of chatter, but it's flatter. The glue joint could be a little tighter in a few spots, but this photo doesn't show it. If I use this side, dould it make a drastically poor joint?

I know nothing has to be perfect, but qill the neck split once I put tension on it with strings? I'll post better pictures once I get to the camera. I hope it'll work, because that's all the money and wood I have for now.

I'm really impressed with this headstock design:

vanheadstock.jpg

I should be able to angle a six on a side back, right?

One last question. Anyone ever cut their scarf joint with a miter saw?

Edited by sexybeast

I cant really see what you mean about the glue joint being sloppy...the pic doesnt really illustrate this.

But, seeing as even from the blurry pic the seams look clean, I think the joint should be fine. Dont forget, youre going to be gluing a FB on that baby, which will add even more strength! In summary, I do not think the neck will split at all.

What do you mean by "angling six on a side back?"

Did some more work on the body since my tools are all packed up to move. I worked the curves and gave them a little more life with a rasp and files. There's definitely something much more satisfying about getting up really close to the wood and carving it by hand than a belt sander and power tools.

Keep in mind that this stuff is all in rough shape and needs final shaping, cleanup and scraping/sanding.

newtop.jpg

newslopearmrest.jpg

Note the water drops, I just washed the sawdust off my hands.

newcurves.jpg

lowerwaisttop.jpg

lowerwaistcurve.jpg

The image gallery: Here.

Any sugestions/critiques?

Edited by sexybeast