Red Gold Green Burst,

bassman

I have never seen a red, gold and green burst. Perhaps this is just because it would not look to good if done the usual way. I think it can be pulled off, if anyone has seen one or has a link to one it would be wonderfull. If I am so lucky, maybe someone can even mock one up in some program, I have no idea what is involved in doing so. Thanks for any links or pics.

It's because red and green mixed together make neutral. Ie. a variation of grey or brown depending on the tones used. They don't fade together easily and for the most part don't look right. :D

However, since it's an effect that appears in nature (an apple!), there's precedent. Don't know if it will produce a nice-looking guitar, but could do!

Greg

You know, mentioning the metallic and the sparkly bits set off a different image in my head than the first one I had.

It actually could end up being rather sweet... now I'm picturing something with great Rockabilly appeal. :D So, let me at least somewhat retract my previous implied message that it wouldn't look good. I think it could, after all!

Greg

Do a google search for JET guitars.. He has a tie dye guitar that while not a burst.. combines several colors of stains to look just like a grateful dead t-shirt :D

I just went there.. www.jetguitars.com Click on "one of a kind" it's not a tie die, i was mistaken.. it's stripes. but if you spray alcohol based stain with an airbrush you could get a real controlled burst.. No different than the green to purple bursts and stuff like that.

Thanks for the tips and leads...

What I have in mind is a red center, fade out to yellow, and then fade to green on the edges. I am particularly interested in doing this over a quilted maple bass, with stains. I think that if stain black then sand back- but not as much as one would usually do- it might work. I am just throwing around some ideas for a "reggae machine" I am building for a friend. The bass is based off of my hybrid headless basses, but with frets and magnetic pups. I will test on some scrap starting tomorrow and see what kind of results I can acheive, but I honestly dont have my hopes to high for good results with this color combo fade.

It sounds like a great idea! My advice would be this: finish it first in yellow, then add the center red with transparent dye (kinda like backwards of a normal sunburst). Then add the band of outside green with transparent green dye. IN that case you have green over yellow and red over yellow, both of which should work fine.

I would suggest you use reranch spray dye for teh sunburst, and don't hesitate to tell them what you're intending so they can advise the best materials.

http://www.reranch.com/

I'd suggest you also post to their forum, the sunburst refin junkies there will be all over the idea with interest and advice:

http://reranch.august.net/phpBB-2.0.4/phpBB2/index.php

Thanks for the tips and leads...

What I have in mind is a red center, fade out to yellow, and then fade to green on the edges. I am particularly interested in doing this over a quilted maple bass, with stains. I think that if stain black then sand back- but not as much as one would usually do- it might work. I am just throwing around some ideas for a "reggae machine" I am building for a friend. The bass is based off of my hybrid headless basses, but with frets and magnetic pups. I will test on some scrap starting tomorrow and see what kind of results I can acheive, but I honestly dont have my hopes to high for good results with this color combo fade.

If the dyes overlapping causes undesireable results.. You main need to stain black, sand back.. then seal it.. Then do color #1/ Seal it.. then #2, Seal it.. then finish with #3.

If you're spraying alcohol based dyes with an airbrush, you'll have a lot of control and it'll sit right on top of the sealer. I wonder if you would have an easier spraying red center, then yellow the rest of the way, then blue on top of the yellow for your green band.. Then it's a pure fade to green. Instead of yellow to pea to full green. Wiht the sealer in between though you won't have any color mixing.. just overlay which should make a smoother fade.

That JET guitar is stripes. I saw a tie dyed guitar once. I thought it was a jet. It's on Ed Romans (choke) site.. Maybe it was a Jaros. But it was a red/blue/yellow/green tie dye, spiraling from the center. Definite reggea vibe colorwise, even though tie-dye isn't necessarily reggea i know.