Fender style "Skunk Stripe" in a neck-thru?

I'm building 2 7 string neck throughs. I was wondering, what would be the best way to do the skunk stripes. I don't want to put a maple cap/fingerboard on it if I can help it, just want it to be maple neck w/o board. I'm thinking I won't be able to do it without some big precise machinery to drill the hole from the headstock where the adjustment would be, to the channel where the rod resides. Any ideas here?

Have a look at Melvyn Hiscocks book "Build your own Electric guitar" He explains exactly how to do a Fender style rear mounted truss rod with skunk stripe. I have just completed fitting two Bass necks using his method and it works fine. The only speciality item needed are drill bits with shanks about 300 mm (12") long to clear the head stock.

Keith

One more thing: I couldn't find any long bits with the correct size so I took normal size bit to the engineering and welding company down the road who welded an extension piece on for me in about five minutes.

Keith