Basic Finishing Questions..

I'm about ready to jump into the guitar finishing part... and have some very important questions to ask, simply because I don't want to reinvent the wheel.. lol.. I have read that you can buy acrylic lacquer from a automotive store... two things I'm concerned about are... 1. how good is the acrylic paint... is it as good as using other paints and applying the lacquer clear coats later? 2. How easy is it to find and how much variety can i find.. I mean is there a surf green at a local autoparts store.. lol...

The next thing I was wondering about is the neck.. do i have to buy something like amber paint from ReRanch and then apply a clear coat later.. or can I pick something up locally that is just as good... also is nitrocellulose lacquer easy to find or do i have to special order it from stewmac or reranch..

I know that's alot of questions.. but I'm trying to get an idea of just what I'm gonna need to buy to complete my guitar.. thx

Matt

Hi Matt,

When most of us are posting about automotive paint suppliers we generally are not talking about the shops like Auto Zone or Pep Boys, you really need to find your local supply shop in the yellow pages.

While it would be nice for them to have paints listed as 67 Fender Surf Green chances are your going to have to flip through a mountain of paint sample chips to find the color you desire. The paint will more then likely be named something like GM 0781366 or FD 45-890007 since the auto paint market really is a rainbow of colors from makes, models and years.

Your best bet on the lacquers as well are to call around to see if anyone has anything locally. Places like ReRanch make it simple for us to get exact replica colors with names and part numbers were more tuned into.

If your starting out with a new bare maple neck then yes you will need to stain it before clearing over it with the top finish to get that antique look your going after.

Thanks Brian.. I've been wondering how good a job i can do with a spray can.. someone told me I'd do a much better job with an air gun.. and I have to agree.. but I'd have to borrow a air gun and buy the right kind of paint... just wondering how u guys get a good paint job... air-gun or spray paint cans...? Also with acrylic lacquer.. and from my understanding I don't have to spray on any clear coating... is that right or am i totally off base... Yeah I was thinking I'd have to order my stuff from ReRanch or StewMac simply because they cater to guitar builders... Thanks for the information on painting the neck... I want to go with a amber color.. with a clear coat over it.. not quite sure what kind of clear coat I'll use.. any advice?

Matt