Where Does Curly Maple Grow?

umm in maple trees :D  Seriously it's just a regular maple tree that when that grain grows left and right (I think it was that) it gets that unique figure.  I forget exatly.  I read a great article that explianed how all the diffrent figures happend and it was very cool.

This page states where it's grown...

http://www.irionlumber.com/mapprod1.htm

......And it seems that it may be growing in my back yard.....

I was looking into using the ash from the lot where I'm building my house...

but curly and flamed maple!!!

Now that's a harvest...

I wonder how many year's I've been burning this stuff in my stove!!

(don't flame me for that plese)

umm in maple trees :D  Seriously it's just a regular maple tree that when that grain grows left and right (I think it was that) it gets that unique figure.  I forget exatly.  I read a great article that explianed how all the diffrent figures happend and it was very cool.

This page states where it's grown...

http://www.irionlumber.com/mapprod1.htm

......And it seems that it may be growing in my back yard.....

I was looking into using the ash from the lot where I'm building my house...

but curly and flamed maple!!!

Now that's a harvest...

I wonder how many year's I've been burning this stuff in my stove!!

(don't flame me for that plese)

Evidently sugar maple produces "flamed and burl and curly maple"

I'm still truing to figure out how to determine if these "figures" might exist in any of

my wood.

This seems to be a informative woods page...

http://kytary.muzikant.cz/stavba/wood_faq.htm

Edited by allstellar

I seen trees that you can kinda see the figure it will have under the bark, but this are huge trees that have been cut down abd the thick bark is falling out of it. There is a big quilt in the parade field on the post I'm on, one of the thick branches was cut, a few years before I got here I guess by the look of it, and you can clearly see the figure on the circle left by the brach. There is no definite way of telling the figure as far as I know. Until you cut it. And I think it's almost 5% of the qhole maple tree population the one that has figure in it.

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/gnn_image...enome/Agro3.jpg

Now THESE things make you a sweet lookin' top.

There is a tree tumor on a tree at the local park but I don't think they'd let me saw it off. :D

PS: This is not me. It is just a picture I found on the internet.

------------

Jimbo

Interesting.. I think I'll look around for some.....

One tree will supply PLENT of tops... of course this stuff prob takes forever to dry... bt I did find a local kiln...

Western Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) quite frequently has "flamed" patterns. And if the right chunk of wood is found you might be lucky enough to find the odd burl. Burls are found in surface wood, ie. wood cut closest to the outside of the trunk. I'm not sure how deep the flamed pattern goes but I have a a part of a plank of surface wood and can clearly see the flaming right on top. If you get your hands on a log you might be able to see some patterns if you strip off the bark. Here is an example of some surface cut wood from a bigleaf maple tree with flaming and a few burls.

burls.jpg

Bigleaf maple is found in SW British Columbia, including Vancouver Island, and Washington state.

Western Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum) quite frequently has "flamed" patterns.  And  if the right chunk of wood is found you might be lucky enough to find the odd burl.  Burls are found in surface wood, ie. wood cut closest to the outside of the trunk.  I'm not sure how deep the flamed pattern goes but I have a a part of a plank of surface wood and can clearly see the flaming right on top.  If you get your hands on a log you might be able to see some patterns if you strip off the bark.  Here is an example of some surface cut wood from a bigleaf maple tree with flaming and a few burls.

burls.jpg

Bigleaf maple is found in SW British Columbia, including Vancouver Island, and Washington state.

How does one dry this stuff?

same as ash?

I got that piece, about 6 ft long, 2" thick and 24" at the base tapered out to the surface (bark) at the top, from a local woodworking shop, a straight trade for some of my mahogany. They showed me how they dry and stack their wood. They basically layered the planks with 1" cross pieces to ensure both sides are open to the air. It depends on how much you have but these guys had woods like cherry, Douglas Fir etc. stacked right to the ceiling. Just find a nice dry place with uniform humidity, stack it and then forget about it for a few years, :D .

Edited by Southpa

One important point about stacking large quantities of wood. If you have definite plans for each piece stack it accordingly. I had to help one guy pull a piece out that was near the bottom of the pile, I mean, it had about 500 lbs laying on top of it! I kept asking, "Are you SURE this is the one you want???" :D

Edited by Southpa

I've been spending a fair bit of time lately planing down rough-sawn planks of 100-year old walnut (80-year-old tree that blew down in a storm 20 years ago, air drying ever since). The nicest flame comes from parts of the tree that experience compressive stresses, i.e. where large branches enter the trunk, and near the base of the tree (mostly on the down-wind side). These are areas where the wood growth is disturbed by movement of the tree as it blows in the wind.

So I think windy places are more likely to produce trees with better figure.

These are areas where the wood growth is disturbed by movement of the tree as it blows in the wind.

So I think windy places are more likely to produce trees with better figure.

wow thats some serious insight.....

Hmm, wind causes the flames

PS: I just realized that I keep quoting full posts...

I'll stop that habbit..

I JUST GET EXCITED!!!!

:D

B)

:D

Edited by allstellar

Figure in maple, curls and quilts come from places where the wood is compressed.. the compression puts bends and ripples in the grain. You'll get curl at the crotch between two trunks, at the base of limbs, places where the tree is bent.. there are several causes for the phenomenon.. but compression during growth is the main cause for the curl (flame)

A lot of the wood I manage to get my hands on is pretty rough initially. You really can't tell what the heck is inside unless you give it a good sharp planing. Then wet it down with a damp rag to bring out the figuring. I've had private offers (friends and acquaintances) to buy some maple and I would first ask to take it home to examine. No harm in that, not like I would be giving back something smaller, :D .